Sig Sauer P220 22LR Conversion Kit

I took the kit to the range today and the short of it is, this set-up works very well and I consider it money well spent. Not that I needed a 22LR pistol but my motivation is to practice more to become more proficient with the 45ACP. I just wanted to run some rounds through the P220 with this slide and barrel installed to see how well it works.

The only problem was the second round failed to feed and got jammed, but after this it was all good.

I fired a total of 300 rounds of 22LR, 100 CCI Mini-Mag HP and 200 Remington HPs that Walmart sells in 225 round boxes. Sig does recommend only High Velocity ammo for use with this kit.

I switched back and forth from 22LR to 45ACP which was quick and simple. Shot 50 rounds of 45.

I did some upgrading to the conversion kit using parts from SigPower.com. I added a stainless steel guide rod, followers for both mags which hold the slide back after the last round, the "factory" mags don't do this. Also the mag that came with the kit and extra factory mags only hold 10 rounds so I added SigPower mag plugs and springs which allows another 5 rounds.

post-41803-0-76751200-1343189377_thumb.jpg

Here are some shots of the kit showing the stainless guide rod (the factory part is plastic) and adjustable sights.

post-41803-0-13906400-1343189448_thumb.jpg

post-41803-0-10159100-1343189461.jpg post-41803-0-53946200-1343189471.jpg

Yeah, Sig should provide these after market parts for a kit that retails for $300 (Got mine on eBay for $250) but I decided to go ahead and upgrade anyway.

The kit works well and now I intend to concentrate on improving my marksmanship.

• Like 1

Yep, and I got these boys today for dry firing;

post-41803-0-47585200-1343421652_thumb.jpg

I did some research on this and there are differing opinions about whether or not dry firing can cause harm but I figure why risk it? Got these off eBay for $13 shipped.

Edited by Squishy
  • Like 1

Good deal Squishy!! ALWAYS LOVED a Sig 220 (I'm a .45 man myself) Just wished that the Khar cw45 came with a rail on it for a laser, that would be my next purchase!

And XDamaged, is your kit for your 1911 reliable enough?. I have a RIA GI that I LOVE, but 45's are expensive to shoot!!

From what I saw when I was shopping around looking at new P220s the rail is standard on them now. Mine doesn't have one because it's a former Police pistol and, it was made in Germany like my P245. I wouldn't bet on it but I doubt you could buy a new P220 without a rail if you wanted to.

I did have some apprehensions about buying a former cop gun because you never know if they've been cared for or rode hard and put up wet. But this guy out in Cali assured me the pistol was in excellent condition and it is, everything is as tight on it as on the P245 I bought new and haven't run 1,000 rounds through.

And, it was about $300 cheaper than a new one.

Edited by Squishy
  • 2 weeks later...

Good deal Squishy!! ALWAYS LOVED a Sig 220 (I'm a .45 man myself) Just wished that the Khar cw45 came with a rail on it for a laser, that would be my next purchase!

And XDamaged, is your kit for your 1911 reliable enough?. I have a RIA GI that I LOVE, but 45's are expensive to shoot!!

I can go through most of a 550 box of cheapo .22's before it starts fouling up enough to have problems extracting shells, and loading. Reliable enough for SD? probably not, reliable enough as a Rambo style backup for small game hunting? Maybe, reliable enough to not get frustrated killing some targets at the range? Absolutely.

Could you please elaborate on "SigPower mag plugs and spring" for the extra 5 rounds?? My 220 has one of the guide rod lasers.

I didn't see this til just now. I assume Sig made the 22LR mags so as to not exceed 10 rounds, which given that 10 rounds is the magic number as far as being legal pretty much anywhere. So this guy who runs SigPower.com simply made a shorter plug which goes at the end of the spring in the bottom of the mag to allow for more rounds. And he made longer springs to take up the slack.

These parts are shown and compared in the photo above. Not a huge deal really but when practicing or target shooting it means fewer or less frequent reloads of the mag.

If it's reliable it seems that laser guide rod would be about the best way to go as it's about a close to the bore axis as you can get. Has it worked well for you?

Went to the range yesterday and shed a couple hundred 22s through the P220. I'm pleased with my accuracy with the 22LR round but it's quite a jump when I switch over to 45ACP.

I have to work on "taming" the 45 round.