What is a good price for a .223?

What is a good price for a .223 now-a-days? I have found one for $650 in great/like new condition already converted with these mods:

Tapco G2 trigger

Original style polymer ak pistol grip

Standard length ak buttstock (Polymer)

Axix pin plugs

FCG retaining plate

Standard picatinny rail added under the original stock to allow for a vertical grip

RJF (HK style) charging handle

2- Tapco Galil 30 round magazines

1-OEM 10 round magazine

Bullet Guide installed

So, is $650 worth it?

Edited by socom688

I think the cheapest you can find "stock" Saiga 223's anymore is Bud's at $399. Complete conversion kits at CSS start at around $145. Tapco mags around $15/ea. Bullet guide varies, figure about $40.

So you're looking at, at LEAST:

Saiga: $399 +shipping ($25?) + FFL transfer (around $50)= around $475

+ Conversion (parts only w/bullet guide + shipping)= $200

+ Tapco mags = $30

Total (not including DIY labor) = $705.

$600's seems fair (if it's in FANTASTIC condition). Although... if you're even remotely handy with tools, you could do it for just a bit more and have a NEW rifle that you'll know inside and out! Plus it's FUN to do!

Yeah it is fun, I converted my S12 and decked her out and had a blast doing it. I just want a great AK in 5.56 and am going to sacrifice the pleasurable experience of converting it myself for the price. All this Obama AWB crap has pushed me to pull the trigger on the purchase.

Well so long as your happy, that's all thet matters! I will tell you this.. converting a Saiga is more expensive than buying a decent AR these days. Due to competition, you could get a Smith/Wesson MP15 for $650 OTD. However, most on here already know that the AK system is FAR better better than the AR system, so that's a moot point. I often have friends comment "why did you spend so much on an "non AR"??" My answer is this "because I want it to go off when I pull the trigger!". Not to bash the AR's... they make a great target/range rifle.. but their definitley NO combat weapon. Make no mistake about it... when you get an AK, you expect it to go BANG when you pull the trigger. The same can't be said for ANY other weapon in it's price range. It may be an old design... but it WORKS.

Well so long as your happy, that's all thet matters! I will tell you this.. converting a Saiga is more expensive than buying a decent AR these days. Due to competition, you could get a Smith/Wesson MP15 for $650 OTD. However, most on here already know that the AK system is FAR better better than the AR system, so that's a moot point. I often have friends comment "why did you spend so much on an "non AR"??" My answer is this "because I want it to go off when I pull the trigger!". Not to bash the AR's... they make a great target/range rifle.. but their definitley NO combat weapon. Make no mistake about it... when you get an AK, you expect it to go BANG when you pull the trigger. The same can't be said for ANY other weapon in it's price range. It may be an old design... but it WORKS.

You do realize that's the platform our military currently employs right? I had to bust your balls a little for saying that, even though an ak is my choice too.

• Like 1

You do realize that's the platform our military currently employs right? I had to bust your balls a little for saying that, even though an ak is my choice too.

Haha! yes, I do realize that. Does it make it right? absolutely not. There is little doubt in ANYONE'S mind that that the AR is a flawed system (our own military has spent 50 yrs trying to make it "reliable"). IMHO, issuing M4's is a discrace to our troops. It works great when CLEAN... ok, how does that help in combat?? 6lbs of junk. ANY rifle will work when CLEAN. An AK works when filthy (which is what makes a COMBAT weapon). This is why I said AR's are great .... as a target weapon. Sadly, the AR/M16/M4 system has become the Chevy small block 350 of firearms. It will always have it's cult following (much like the 1911), even though it is NOT the best system out there.

Politics, my friend. The US does NOT want to say "hey, we messed up. Shitting where you eat does NOT make a good firearm action", so, as typical, we throw TONS of money at it trying to make it work. We are STILL trying to make it "work" to this very day (50 yrs later) instead of admiting fault and going with a proper "combat proven" action. I have yet to find even ONE person who would say "I'd trust my AR (even a piston SR556 $1600 rifle) action over a $400 Romy AK". That's sad.

That's why this forum is so great. We already know! :-)

I absolutely would trust my WASR over even a top-dollar AR, no questions asked. It has never failed to fire in thousands of rounds of all types; FMJ, HP, SP, corrosive Yugo, brass commercial 7.62x39, etc. My Romy AKs are bar-none the most reliable guns I own.

Edited by mancat

I absolutely would trust my WASR over even a top-dollar AR, no questions asked. It has never failed to fire in thousands of rounds of all types; FMJ, HP, SP, corrosive Yugo, brass commercial 7.62x39, etc. My Romy AKs are bar-none the most reliable guns I own.

Thank you! Yes, I think almost everyone would agree. It's sad that the US forces refuse to admit that they have an inferior weapon (when everyone already knows). The wealthiest, mightiest, strongest military in the world.... yet they hold to politics/traditions with their "jam-o-matic" AR's. Sad. I undertand their argument "well it's accurate!". Ok, but a shot not shot (due to malfunction) is less accurate than the worst firearm that FIRES. With a "combat weapon" reliability comes BEFORE accuracy. Just my .02, but glad I'm not the only one who thinks this!