Anyone Tried It?

So I ordered some AR magazines from Tapco the other day (btw, great deal on them, $11 for good 30rnders, not the Israeli Orlite crap. Also, how do you get the floor plate off the AR magazines? I'm replacing the followers and haven't found the trick.) and I got a Tapco catalogue with my order. In it, I found a neat looking part: a dust cover with a picatinny rail built in. Has anyone tried to adapt it to a Saiga? The part is below.

Picatinny Dust Cover

Could it work? If not, could Blackjack's Scout Rail System work?

Scout Rail

Lower Handguard

This would be for an S20 if that makes any difference. Any help would be appreciated, and if you could tip me off as to the floorplate of the AR mags, that'd help me too. Thanks!

The dust cover rail will work on the Saiga but you will have to cut some material away to enlarge the ejection port. like the one on your shottie. Also I believe you have to trim the front part a little and flatten out the little nipple on top for it to fit right. Someone posted something a few weeks ago about that. Can't remember who or where. I have one of those that I used on my AK for awhile and it was ok. As with all dustcover mounts though it isn't as solid as a siderail mount. It has two screws at the back that you tighten down to try and make it more stable. Sounds like you found yourself a 20 finally! Congrats! :super:

Sorry can't help ya with AR stuff I'm an AK guy. I'm like Schultz when it comes to them. "I know nothing no ting!" :lolol: At least I admit it though.

AR mag dissasembly:

Take your mag, and spray som WD-40 on the floorplate, there should be 4 locking lugs that secure the plate in place, the plate has to slide out from these, in the direction of the little cuved tab at the rear of the mag body. Some mags differ, but the flathead screwdriver or a thin file is the tool you need for this. basically have to just use the screwdriver to get it started, and "unseat" the plate, then it will slide out by hand. follower and spring will come out of the bottom of the mag. Good luck!

---Bravo 26

Hrm, thanks for the AR help Bravo. I hate using force as often I use too much, and we know where that leads.

So since the dustcover idea isn't that great, what about the scout handguard? It looks kind of like what Stokstad made for himself. Curious if anyone might've given it a go.

And yep, finally broke down and got an S20. Now I just have to decide what I'm doing to it. I got the S12 for my primary self-defense gun so I want it to remain 100% functional 100% of the time. Thus, I chose to avoid optics with batteries that can die at the wrong moment or neat gismos like a polychoke. However, the S20 I'm thinking will be my new tactical gun though some competitions require a 12ga. For those that allow 20ga it should be a real competitor. It's higher capacity than the S12, has less kick allowing for faster follow-up shots, and the reduced kick allows for more optic options. I'm leaning towards vented poly-chokes too for maximum versatility. It's gonna be sweet. :super:

The receiver covers with built in rails are pretty crummy. Somebody gave me one and I won't use it. If you are going to use optics do so with a side rail. I suppose you could put a red dot on the receiver cover but everytime you clean the rifle you'll loose your zero so I wouldn't sight it in for much distance. Just my 2 cents.

I have that same dust cover on my 7.62 and had the same idea, but Ive come to the conclusion that too much materail would have to be removed to make it work. Zero retention has also been aproblem. If you were using it to shoot slugs the repeatabilaty of zero would be unacceptable even if missing the materaial didn't weaken the mount to the point of unreliability, that I think it would. The screws on the back of the cover are a good idea executed poorly. If a locking mechanism of some type was used to retain the screws in position after dust cover removal and reinstallation it would be a feasable option. But in my opinion the dust cover is not the ideal place to mount any critical accessory on an AK based weapon due to it's inherent predispostion to movement.

I have that same dust cover on my 7.62 and had the same idea, but Ive come to the conclusion that too much materail would have to be removed to make it work. Zero retention has also been aproblem. If you were using it to shoot slugs the repeatabilaty of zero would be unacceptable even if missing the materaial didn't weaken the mount to the point of unreliability, that I think it would. The screws on the back of the cover are a good idea executed poorly. If a locking mechanism of some type was used to retain the screws in position after dust cover removal and reinstallation it would be a feasable option. But in my opinion the dust cover is not the ideal place to mount any critical accessory on an AK based weapon due to it's inherent predispostion to movement.

Nice spelling dipshit!!

Did you just put yourself down????? :lolol:

Sorry, the quality of my spelling decreases exponentialy with each beer consumed. If you can't laugh at yourself, it's going to be a long boring life. I do stupid shit every day!!! BTW Am I the only one up at this hour? seems like all the really good threads run wild during the hours I'm on the job. My six twelves work schedule pretty much restricts me to late nights and sundays. Gotta love the overtime though, right?"Overtime is worth time & a half on the paycheck, but it's only half my free time." Tallyhoe!!!

Edited by ditchdigger

I have seen those dust cover scope mounts, a guy I know had one on his AK during a three gun match it would not hold a zero and he fired almost 40 rounds at 10 poppers and still never hit them all.

The only way to do it, outside of using the side rail, is if the receiver cover operates on a hinge like the Saiga 12 SWAT or some Krinkovs. I know my Yugo Krink operates that way with its iron sights. I'd post a pic if I weren't at work :rolleyes:

I got the self-leveling followers today, and I give them AWESOME reviews. They are soooooo much smoother than the normal ones, and these aren't in crappy magazines either. I replaced the followers in my Bushmaster and D&H Industry mags and both are much improved. The followers make loading the magazines much easier, and the followers now move much more easily without any hangups, which should correlate to improved feed reliability. Seriously, for ~5 bucks per 3 pack, these are more than worth it.

Magpul Self Leveling Followers