Wolff extra power recoil spring

I installed a Wolff extra power recoil spring b/c I noticed my BCG was slamming my rear trunnion. I am fairly sure it was doing this with Russian steel case. Anyone else installed one of these and does the gun cycle Wolf, Brown Bear etc. ok?

I have one and it works fine. I installed it because I felt there was too much trunnion contact when firing hotter 5.56 NATO like M193 or M855. It made a huge difference in reducing felt recoil with those loads.

Edited by mancat

Yes. IMO my Saiga .223 was slightly overgassed to begin with.

I believe you are right. Mine started making pronounced marking on the rear trunnion right out of the box. I don't even think I have fired any brass through it. All 55gr. Academy brand Barnaul "Monarch" before Academy started carrying Tula. The bolt was showing peening marks too. I will eventually shoot it but, its a long drive to the range. I think they lightened the bolt carrier too much also IMHO..

Keep in mind that almost all AKs will smack the trunnion now and then.

The one thing I notice about the trunnion on these rifles is that the recess cut for the bolt tail seems to be incorrectly cut. You may notice this if you pull the carrier assembly back. You'll see that the bolt is likely larger than the recess cut, unless your rifle is a newer production that has resolved this issue.

The bolt carrier is a standard AK-74/100 series carrier that has been in use for decades. I doubt it's too light. Recoil spring tuning is not unheard of for AKs and ARs. I simply suspect that the factory spring is rated to give the highest reliability with lightly-loaded commercial .223 ammunition, rather than military 5.56.

Some of the Wolf Military Classic .223 I've shot feels as if it was approaching 5.56 pressures. Very hot ammo compared to other steel case.

I kept the original spring on a separate spring assembly so that I can jus swap it in if needed. Haven't had to yet.

Edited by mancat

Keep in mind that almost all AKs will smack the trunnion now and then.

The one thing I notice about the trunnion on these rifles is that the recess cut for the bolt tail seems to be incorrectly cut. You may notice this if you pull the carrier assembly back. You'll see that the bolt is likely larger than the recess cut, unless your rifle is a newer production that has resolved this issue.

The bolt carrier is a standard AK-74/100 series carrier that has been in use for decades. I doubt it's too light. Recoil spring tuning is not unheard of for AKs and ARs. I simply suspect that the factory spring is rated to give the highest reliability with lightly-loaded commercial .223 ammunition, rather than military 5.56.

I kept the original spring on a separate spring assembly so that I can jus swap it in if needed. Haven't had to yet.

If they are the same spring as an AK-47 then I have a spair I will take with me to the range next time. I have read where the Saiga .223 can take 5.56 NATO. But yeah Izhmash probably tested it with Russian produced .223 which is 3-400 fps slower than M193 "so I have been told."

It would be interesting to know if the military export AK-101 calls for a stiffer rated spring, since it wouldn't be intended to fire commercial .223. Nobody seems to know this sort of thing though. I suspect that info could also be had from other countries that manufacture 5.56 AKs, but haven't ever found it one way or another.

Just ordered my xp spring for my converted siaga 223. will install it when it comes next week. in the mean time just cleared out my work area to get to the bench vice so i can thread this baby for a flash hider . 556 +16 inch barrel = great bals of fire! . this gun eats anything but I will shoot mostly Fed 193.

just got a aimpoint red dot for my bithday and zeroed it at 50 yards . Here we Go!

I will let you know how the spring does when I get out to the range about 2 weeks.

• 3 weeks later...

Brownells and wolf only makes one spring 15% stronger for all aks as far as I know.

Will be testing it out at range tomorrow. Looking to smooth it out a bit if that can be done.as this gun will be shooting Nato 556

New flash hider and spring with a new red dot. It will be a nice morning.

Also My spooked out (Ghost Trigger job)Glock 27, XDM40 and M&P subcompact 40 will be coming along for the ride.

Well Ii just got back from the range and I must say first that I Love this gun. I shoot 556 NATO all the time so I installed a Wolf XP spring to smooth out the annoying snap during the recoil. Do not get me wrong it was hardly noticeable but now it is gone. It seems like the gun ran just a little smoother which was all I was hoping for. Then when I started to examine the casings I noticed that many did not have the Siaga AK kiss on them and the ones that did were dented very little. So this is another plus. Red dot was flawless due to being on a very accurate rifle and my flash hider ended the great balls of fire problem with this 16 inch gun amplified by the NATO round. This Gun is done, next Siaga shot gun! . 12 Gauge or 410?

I do recommend this upgrade for the 556 shooters, 20 bucks with shipping from Brownell's