Conversion Questions

I'm looking to convert another Saiga, so I read the conversion post by Cobra and I read PVTPyle's about what can be done to a saiga. First, let me say thank you to both people for their informative tutorials. It was a big help! However, when all was said and done I still had a few questions. PVTPyle's post seems a little contrary to something Cobra was saying.

Cobra mentioned you only need 3 US compliance parts on the shotgun, but that seems like it would leave too many foreign parts. But according to PVTPyle's post you need <10 parts foreign out of the following list:

(1) Frames, receivers, receiver castings, forgings or

stampings

(2) Barrels

(3) Barrel extensions

(4) Mounting blocks (trunions)

(5) Muzzle attachments

(6) Bolts

(7) Bolt carriers

(8) Operating rods

(9) Gas pistons

(10) Trigger housings

(11) Triggers

(12) Hammers

(13) Sears

(14) Disconnectors

(15) Buttstocks

(16) Pistol grips

(17) Forearm handguards

(18) Magazine bodies

(19) Followers

(20) Floorplates

So which is the case? Can one just replace the FCG, stock, and PG like Cobra suggested? Or does one have to replace a bunch of other things like the gas piston, bolt, etc.? If you have to replace all these parts, will the standard AK pieces fit, or is the shotgun different?

Next, what's the difference between double-hook triggers and single-hook? Is one better than another? Will either fit the Saiga (G2-made)?

Lastly, does the Saiga have a milled or stamped receiver? I'm looking at the CAR adjustable for AKs and apparently there's a difference. Thanks for any help you can offer. Have a great one.

The Saiga's were ruled to have 13 parts. I think it was 'trunions' that are not listed as a Saiga part by the BATFE. So you only need 3 parts for a conversion if you use U.S. pistol grip. However if you use an imported pistol grip, or muzzle device (flash hider or brake -chokes do not count) you would be adding listed forign parts, and would need to find other parts to change out to U.S. made. Remember it is not a count of U.S. parts, it is a count of (listed) forign parts. The count is 10 or fewer.

G O B

1. Here's a link to the letter from the B.A.T.F.E. to Wes at Soupbowl Enterprises when he inquired about the legal parts count of several imported firearms. Notice that the Saiga shotguns are listed as "H" in the right-hand column, followed by the numbers that correspond with the list of parts on the left-hand side. B.A.T.F.E. LETTER

2. The Saigas are already made to take the single-hook triggers, but there's not much you have to do to make them accept a double-hook. You just have to make another notch on the other side of the front of the trigger opening. I'd just go with a single.

3. The Saigas have a stamped receiver.

AKATTACK