Does .096 = 3/32 drill bit?

CGW warranty work was done last year but still having FTEs with low power loads. I have a 3 port gun.

CGW in their receipt to me said they opened all three ports to .096. When I try and insert a 3/32 drill bit it will not fit at all. Is a 3/32 bit slightly bigger than .096? I realize there is a metric/standard conversion to account for. Everything I have read says a three port gun should be drilled out with a 3/32 bit?

Thanks

No 3/32 is .0938

.096 is a #41 which is a wire size drill, which falls between 2.4mm and 2.5mm. Wire and alphabet sizes basically exist to allow taps to function and to allow clearance holes to be drilled.

I'll point out that the difference in square area increases fairly rapidly with added diameter (provided I did the math right which is unlikely)

(3/32") .0938" = .0069102727799"

(#41) .096" = .00723822336

A difference of .0003279505801"

• Like 3

That tiny difference is an increase of 5% in surface area... So it does have the ability to change things.

My only other thought is that I have had drill bits incorrectly marked and packaged from hardware stores. So it is possible that your 3/32 bit is in fact larger than .096, or that the drill used in openning the gas ports was undersized..