SBS question - Saiga 12

Getting ready to SBS my Siaga 20, but since there's more Saiga 12's out there figgered I'd ask here...

MY 20 runs flawlessly (19" bbl) . But cutting the barrel down to 12" will necessitate opening up the gas ports. So here's my questions -

Do the larger ports gunk up the gas system faster? Also, do you know what size / how many gas ports ya got? My vodka special has 4 ports.

Any help appreciated. Thx.

Yes, bigger holes mean more fouling.

The S20 is a different beast than the S12. I know you can cut a S12 down to 12.5" without moving the gasblock. I doubt you can go that short on a 20 without redoing the entire gas system. Best to send it to Tony.

Yes, bigger holes mean more fouling.

The S20 is a different beast than the S12. I know you can cut a S12 down to 12.5" without moving the gasblock. I doubt you can go that short on a 20 without redoing the entire gas system. Best to send it to Tony.

Tony's work is excellent. But already planned to send it to Cadiz. I'm 90% sure I could do it myself, but that 10% is a nagging doubt. Best let the experts handle it.

I have never done an SBS without shortening the gas system. I am not sure if you can get a 12.5" 20ga to run low base with the standard gas system......and not have crazy ass huge gas ports.

In my limited experience with the 20ga SBS, I actually moved the gas block clear back (3.81") to the 8" bbl position, when coupled with a 12" barrel.

Tony

I have never done an SBS without shortening the gas system. I am not sure if you can get a 12.5" 20ga to run low base with the standard gas system......and not have crazy ass huge gas ports.

In my limited experience with the 20ga SBS, I actually moved the gas block clear back (3.81") to the 8" bbl position, when coupled with a 12" barrel.

Tony

Thank you for that "heads up." I do intend to shorten the gas system - its seems essentail to do so. The standard length gas system has about (I'm guessing) 8-10" of barrel beyond the ports. Shortening a bbl to 12" would seemingly require shortening the gas system, as I don't want one whomping big gas port.

Sometimes it costs more to do it right. But then, its done right.

Edited by garandman