Need some help - various magazine dimensions needed

I just got a Vepr 223 and after doing all of my 922r changes i will be running 30rnd mags in it. I would like to ask you guys if you could take measurements of what ever magazines you use in your Saiga 223. Specificall they front, rear, and sides of the top of the mag.

I run SGM/Surefires in my Saiga's and they run .85" front x 1.02" rear and 2.47" long

Vepr mags run .72" front x .96" rear and 2.55" long

If I can find a mag close to the Vepr mag it will reduce the amount of mods needed to the gun or mags I run in it.

Thanks in advance for the help.

OK here are a few

Steel Galil: Front .86", rear .98", long 2.57" - No

Tapco Galil: front .86", rear .99", long 2.59" - No

Promag AK-223 (non-Saiga): front .71", rear .94", long 2.48" - Yes

Polish Beryl: front .73", rear .96", long 2.66" - Yes

Edited by mancat

I wonder if circle 10's would fit, as they are slimmer than the factory Saiga mags?

ETA: Liberty, if you want to I can send you one of my circle 10 mag bodies with no guts so you can test the fit and mail it back to me, if you'd like. Just pm me your info if your interested man.

Edited by Captain Hero

Will do Captain Hero.

OK here are a few

Steel Galil: Front .86", rear .98", long 2.57" - No

Tapco Galil: front .86", rear .99", long 2.59" - No

Promag AK-223 (non-Saiga): front .71", rear .94", long 2.48" - Yes

Polish Beryl: front .73", rear .96", long 2.66" - Yes

Thanks for the help mancat!

Edited by liberty -r- death
  • 2 weeks later...

The Polish Beryl mags fit as do the Bulgy circle 10's in my Vepr. Bulgys were tight the first few insertions , but they got better over time. Mine is one of the older RA conversions and the AK74 mags fit and function well. Mine was built using the AK74 mag pattern and East German bakelite mags snapped in with no resistence at all. My rifle came from the factory with a German 5.45 mag converted to .223 by RA and it has been flawless, no matter what the many naysayers continue to say about these not feeding all 30 rds.

They do work! I purchased a few of the follwers and modified a few of my own and they work also. This was a viable option back in the day when .223 AK mags were tough to find and 5.45 mags were cheap and readily available.

Hope this helps....