The ones they make without the duck bill require the gun to be fitted with the sprung adaptor, I have one of the ones with a duck bill(the single steel nose peice not the stamped one) and a cheep stamped duck bill mag too. Dont use them much, they both came with rifles I had bought, I went out of my way to find ten round fixed mags to put into the rifles. You get into compliance issues when you use these things, though the opnions vary if you or dont, I dont want to go to jail for a thirty round detachable mag in my ordnary sks.

If you really want a detachable mag sks, go out and find a sks-d or sks-m, the ones that take ak magazines. I have two and picked them up for less than two hundred each. Prices do vary, so you might have to pay more but the mags are cheap enough to buy and available everywhere.

I have one of the steel 30 rd ones I ordered from Cabelas. It must be one of the US made ones because it works great. I put the original 10 rdr back in because it's much easier to load with strippers but it's nice to know there is a working 30 rd option if I ever need it. I picked up a factory Chinese fixed 20 rdr at the last gun show for cheap but haven't tried it yet. Are there any problems with these I should be aware of? I hope it works, it would be great to have 20 rds and still be able to load with stripper clips.

I got into sks's at the time when they were first imported(chinese late 80's). When the first 30rd duckbill mag became available I picked up a few and they have worked flawlessly. Some of the later 20rd duckbill mags were junk but they can be taken apart and the pusher sanded so it fits loose inside the mag rather than binding thats the key to a dependable feeding mag. On the orginal chinese 20rd fixed mag with the star upon installation you have to look to see where the pusher is located. I noticed on some of them its off to one side so it has to be bent so it stays in the center of the mag otherwise on the last few rounds it will send all of them out of the mag at once. Once the pusher is relocated on the centerline of the mag it will work flawlessly right to the last round. One thing about the duckbill mag if it needs fitting meaning the length dimention is off and it won't fit into the rifle care must be taken to fit it. Usually the front edge is where you need to file and shorten the length of the mag so it fits. Just go slow and fit it as snug/tight as possible, leave it so you can just remove it and install it with no problems don't sit it too loose.

This is a matter of fitting the mag to the gun its not a given nor it ever has been a given that every gun is the same with detachable mags. I have even noticed that with the same mag as the gun manufacturer they don't interchange between guns too. Mag feeding is one thing and mag fitting is another.

Its also funny everyone wants an sks with an ak mag. Since most of the sks's with an ak mag don't have the bolt locked open on the last round fired feature I can change out my duckbill mag faster than the ak mag. I only use the 5 & 10rd duckbill mags on my scoped sks because its hard to load 1 round at a time under the shell deflector/scope.

The worst duckbill mags are the cheesey ones with the more sections spot welded at the top. The ones with just one spot welded section at the top like the ones pictured above are ok. Its the others with two or three different sections that suck and jam some can be fixed but its just a hassle.

Edited by Unknown Poster

The reason I recomend the sks that takes ak magazines is the availablity of the magazines, and reliablity that the system has, it was manufactured to take the mag. That said the other reason I like it is I have five ak's to interchange magazines, so feeding the two sks-d is easy. The bolt hold open is not as much a issue, as the ak has none either(unless i get the yugo hold open mags, but they close as soon as removed also). When it goes click, I just reload. I have yet to see a duckbill fit as easy as a ak mag(maybe with pratice and some work on chooseing the mags this would get quicker). I guess if wanting high capacity 7.73x39 the problem was solved by the ak rifle and variants.