Question about sighting in

deadhorse.gifdeadhorse.gif

I did some searching, but could not find a definite answer. Everyone seems to be zeroing in at 25 meters, and my ranges don't have such distances.

Here's the chart that I'm going by http://gundata.org/blog/post/7.62x39mm-ballistics-chart/

According to the ballistics chart, if I sight in at 50 yards, then I should be very very close to being zeroed in at 100 yards as well. Lets assume that I do this with the rear sight setting on 1.

So if I'm shooting at 200 yards with a 50 yard zero, how high or low would I be hitting if I move the rear sight to setting 2?

What about shooting at 300 yards, with a 50 yard zero, with the sight set to 3?

I could not find any info on this, not sure if my search-fu sucks or not.

Can anyone help?

• Like 1

I'm no expert, but the way I understand it is this: Sighting in at 25 yards puts you dead on at 100 yards due to the bullet drop of the 7.62x39 round out of the 16" barrel.

So, if you sight in at 100 yards you should be good to go.

If you sight in at 50 yards you're likely to be hitting high on all your shots. I think.

I'm no expert, but the way I understand it is this: Sighting in at 25 yards puts you dead on at 100 yards due to the bullet drop of the 7.62x39 round out of the 16" barrel.

From what I heard, sighting in at 25 yards puts you dead on at 200 yards, no?

Your post is making all this even more confusing.

Can anyone answer the original questions in the OP?

post-36320-0-27671700-1354201191_thumb.png

I zero'd my 12" barreled 104 in at 25m then tweaked it at 50m and it was so close at 100m it was'nt worth touching it again, with the rear sight set on '1'.My 16" Romanian AKM was bang on at 50m out of the box and again was pretty much bang on at 100m with the rear sight on '1'.

if you are hitting your aim point at 100m then when the reaar sight is set on '2' you should be in the ballpark at 200m, or as close as for an AK with open sights.

Not talking about precision here.

What I want to know is, since 50m zero is equivalent to 100m according to the chart, would that mean that switching the numbers on the rear sight would be accurate? In other words, such a 50m zero on setting 1, would changing the numbers on the leaf sight accurately compensate for distance out to 200-300?

http://www.ak-47.net.../sightingin.php

Even has a printable target for sight in. The Russian way is if all the shots stay within a 16" circle at marked ranges to 300M, then it's combat approved.

ETA: To print the picture, right click it, save it, print it with printer set to "Fit To Page".

Edited by Lone Eagle

I've seen this info before, and it is being posted all over the place too.

My problem is that I dont have access to a 25 meter range. 50 and 100 only.

Since a zero at 50 should be very close to 100, shouldn't changing the numbers compensate for the drop properly when shooting at 200 or 300? Or will this only work if I zero at 25 as per manual?

Am I making sense at all?

Shot mine yesterday at 50 and 100m and was pretty much bang on (50m zero) with rear sight on '1', then set rear sight on '2' and took it out to 200m and it was near enough to hit a 12" target 7 times out of 10 so would say thats near enough.can only assume that at 300m on sight setting '3' it would be a similar situation, assuming i could see the target!, LOL smile.png........After 300m i'd leave it to the Dragunov boys anyway. 022.gif

Edited by richUK

I've seen this info before, and it is being posted all over the place too.

My problem is that I dont have access to a 25 meter range. 50 and 100 only.

Since a zero at 50 should be very close to 100, shouldn't changing the numbers compensate for the drop properly when shooting at 200 or 300? Or will this only work if I zero at 25 as per manual?

Am I making sense at all?

You're overthinking it. Changing the setting of the rear sight changes the relative trajectory of the bullet. If you are able to zero one of the settings, regardless of what method you use, the rest of the settings will be zeroed at their respective ranges within the confines of the precision of the sight system and the specs of the ammo you shoot. If you find that one sight settings result in the same POI at 50 and 100m, then that is your 1 setting. Lock down the front sight and do not adjust it further. If you happen to be shooting at 200m, set your rear sight to 2.

If you're looking for a bullet drop chart to determine holdover for iron sights, I can't help you. Ballistic computers might be your best bet short of actually shooting your gun with your ammo at the distances you're looking at. Still, adjusting the sights will likely be your best bet, because, while crude, so is the accuracy of the rifle.

• Like 1

OK, reread your post, and the ballistic chart is off a bit(like my comprehension was...lol). Here's one a member on another forum found:

762x39_summ.gif

Basically, if you zero at 50M with the sight set in the "2" position, that would/should give you a 50/200 zero, striking about 3"-5" high at 100 yds. It theoretically should be dead on at 100 with the sight in the "1" position, with the "battle setting" being 300 yds. My range has a 25 yd bay, and this has proven correct with both 25yd and 50yd zeros.

Also remember, ammo will affect zero. I zeroed mine with Winchester White Box, and it was the same zero with Yugo M67 and Golden Tiger. Barnaul(Bear line), Wolf and Tula had different POI points, but still close enough to POA I didn't monkey with the sights. I made mental notes for compensation.

Good luck, and hope this helps.

• Like 1