Last August I bought a Saiga .223 with the intention of converting it to a typical AK style. Even started to acquire some parts to do so, a Tapco G2 trigger kit.

In all honesty however, I'm pretty fond of it in the Sporter style. I really didn't expect that!

The 10 round mag is sufficient for my needs for the most part, plus I have a couple AR's and a Mini, so it's not like I "need" to convert it for use in "serious social interactions".

Plus I believe there are at least two places making 30 round mags to fit the unaltered gun if I wanted to up the capacity. Haven't really checked on that.

In short, I'm kind of wanting for a reason to proceed with the conversion beyond the fact that I have time on my hands and just like to tinker with guns.

Am I the only one who was unexpectedly "smitten" by the box-stock Saiga rifle?

Nope, you are not alone, but you are in a small minority around here. LOL

My wife prefers her's in stock form, but we found her one that cam with the Saiganov stock. She won't let me convert it or I may loose certain male anatomy I'm rather fond of. She did agree to let me send the trigger and bolt off to Cobra to polish up. Should be getting the parts back anytime to put it back together for her.

• Like 1

Hi Alvah. I wasn't looking for an AK when I purchased my brand spanking new unaltered Saiga 223 sporter a week ago ($399). When I fondled it in the store, I just liked it the way it is. Other than adding a Tapco handguard so I'm 922r compliant when I use my 30 round Sure fire mags, I have no intentions of converting it. I like open sights, and that's what all of my guns have. No optics. I'm perfectly happy with the stock open sights and mediocre trigger, which really isn't "that" bad. I can shoot pretty decent groups out to 50 yards. Haven't tried it at longer distances yet. But I'm sure it's "pie plate accurate" at 100 yards with the stock open sights. This dandy little rifle sure is fun, and a pleasure to shoot. I put some duct tape on the ejection port so the cases no longer get dented. (I'm a reloader.) Oh, I also ordered a stiffer recoil spring as I think these guns are over gassed a bit. I like to keep things plain and simple. But that's just me. So convert or don't convert. You can't go wrong either way.

Happy shooting and always be safe

Don <><

Edited by genesis5521

Oddly... the dealer I bought my stock s223 from was displaying it with a 30 round SGM mag in it (obviously having no idea of 922r). When I purchased it, they forgot that it didn't belong with it and it got put in the box went home with me, with them non the wiser (hee hee).

After seeing that 30 rounder in it... I wanted the whole look :-)

btw... when I went back there and asked how much $ for the SGM mags, they said "what are those? We never stocked them. Where did you see one?" I replied... "oh, I heard of them" ;-)

Edited by Brian M1