Barrel cut/crown FSB question

My apologies if a similar question has already been posted. I don't have much luck with the search function on this sight...I get a ton of results, usually none of which have anything to do with what I'm looking for. I'm fairly new to the AK world, and although I can find bits of answers to my problem, I'm still confused. I'm hoping that some of the experienced shooter on this sight can help me out. My first Saiga purchase was an S12 earlier this year. I tackled the conversion myself, had a lot of fun and was very pleased with the outcome. I already had an AR, so I figured my next purchase would be something in 7.62x39. Being satisfied with the outcome of the S12, I started looking for a 16" Saiga 7.62. A friend of mine at work was selling a Saiga 7.62 for $350, so I jumped on it. I figured by the time I paid for shipping and FFL transfer fee, I was at least $100 bucks ahead, plus he threw in a bunch of mags. The only problem is that it's a 20" barrel. I've read a lot about the difference between a 16" and 20" barrel, and I really want the shorter barrel for a lighter / more maneuverable rifle.

So finally, down to what I want to do. I'd like to cut the barrel down to 16" and recrown. I want the ability to use a muzzle device, whether it be by installing a threaded FSB or reusing the Saiga FSB (if that's possible) or another FSB and threading the barrel. Also, I'm not opposed to going with a combo gas block / FSB, but I don't want to shell out over a hundred bucks for one. I want to use a standard AK lower handguard and an Ultimax gas tube. I'm ok with using a bolt-on lower handguard retainer, but if I have to remove the gas block to accomplish any of the above, I might as well go ahead and use a standard AK lower handguard retainer.

I'm not looking to stay faithful to any official issue AK. I don't need to capability to mount a cleaning rod or a bayonet. I'm fine with a complete Frankenstein, as long as it suites my needs. Basically I want to end up with something as close to the Rifle Dynamics RD-74 (except in 7.62x39, obviously) as I can get, for as cheap as possible. Like I said, I can go with or without the combo gas block / FSB.

Also, I'm planning on doing all the work myself. I'm fairly confident in my abilities, and I've got most of the necessary tools. My objective from the beginning was to end up with a converted Saiga for about the same price that I could have bought a WASR-10 for. So, I'm looking to keep cost down as much as possible, even if it means a little more elbow grease.

Measure the barrel diameter at the point where the FSB will be relocated to see what FSB will fit. It will not be practical to try to reuse the OEM FSB. If the diameter is correct at the new location, buy an AKM FSB such as is available from RTG or AA-OK.

Cut the barrel and recrown. Google is your friend for this.

Thread the barrel. Use a LG retainer such as the one from Saiga-AK.

Leave the gas block alone.

Done.