I have a couple of Saiga mags and they work great. Now the problem is how do you make AK mags work with the Saiga? I know I need a bullet guide. The problem is the mag reliese. Should I take a little off the magazines or alter the mag reliece on the rifle? What ever I do I would like to be able to use the Saiga mags or the AK mags interchangably.

thanks for the help

Edit: actually, first you should research 922r and how it applies to converted saigas.

First, do the bullet guide.

Next, file the mag catch until STEEL COMBLOCK mags snap in.

Finally, file any plastic tapco mags to snap in easily.

You don't file the mag catch to fit tapcos because they are usually too big.

After all that, you can file down the lip of the saiga mags to fit back in.

Edited by mostholycerebus

Edit: actually, first you should research 922r and how it applies to converted saigas.

First, do the bullet guide.

Next, file the mag catch until STEEL COMBLOCK mags snap in.

Finally, file any plastic tapco mags to snap in easily.

You don't file the mag catch to fit tapcos because they are usually too big.

After all that, you can file down the lip of the saiga mags to fit back in.

Great thanks. I found some Tapco mags this afternoon and of course they won't snap in. I was wondering which way to go mag catch or the mags. It doesn't look like it will take much. On the steel ones if I file the catch so they fit will the tapco and saiga mags still work??

You were editing while I was typing. I am staying in the 922a requirments.

thanks

Edited by thumbs1

. what is the difference between the thin tab and the normal ak tab on the steel mags..how much thickness.

maybe 2mm. It wasn't much. File slow, check often.

For "fitting" the mag latch I like to have multiple mags around (I have a variety of AK mags). While tapcos have the thickest tabs of stick mags, I've found that Bulgy circle 10s arn't that far behind the tapcos in thickness. That being said the Circle 10s are still thicker than standard steel sticks. The eastern european style (non opening) drums are the thickest of all.

So on mine I filed for the drum, so I didn't have to worry about monkeying around with keeping certian mags seperate for the saiga.