SGL12 vs. IZ Series Saiga 12s

Hopefully someone can educate me on the different versions of the saiga 12s, because apparently I am behind. I purchased a s12 sporting model(IZ series) about 6 months ago at a gun show for $650. I have relocated the trigger group, added pistol grip, side folder, etc. A friend of mine did a s12 conversion a couple of years back and he is the guilty person for giving me my S12 addiction! When I originaly bought my s12 my friend informed me that they could not be imported in the "assault weapon" format which is why they had to be purchased as a sporting model and then converted which is what I did.

Since, I have became a forum member and I have noticed guys on the forum buying these SGL12 models and I am like WTF! The SGL12s already have the AK trigger position, trigger guard, and pistol grip. Also, no extra holes to weld or any bullshit like that when doing a sporting model conversion either. So, my first question is: How are these legal to import contrary to my previous beliefs and teachings about these guns. Were I misinformed about the importation of these weapons? Also, before the gun scare these SGL12 models were selling for like $750. For not too much more than the sporting models why are people not buying the SGL12s over the IZ series guns?

because thye were uneducated like you and me! and after seeing these new prices, now 2k isnt a big deal anymore.... so, when the bullshit dies down, i am gonna buy a colt 6920....

but back to the question at hand. k-var says the are "non compliant guns" meaning 922 r. so replace the 5 parts and their ya go.... as far as the legality, i assume somenoes liquor cabinet and wallet are lookin pretty good...

Well I spoke with K-Var today on the phone and they are actually just a distributor for the SGl12s. I found out that the FIME Group is the company who is actually importing the guns from the Russian factories. I then called FIME Group and the lady I spoke with informed me that they make the guns 922r compliant with arsenal parts, but I could not get an answer as to how they were able to import the guns setup for a pistol grip?

• Like 1