What is the shortest barrel that functions action

Long time lurker first time poster! I have used the search function and the only answer I could come up with was what Tony Rumore from tromix stated when he first received a mka a long time ago and cut it down I believe to 14 in. Has anyone cut them down shorter or what is the general consensus, with the gas system the way it is, on how short the barrel can be and still cycle reliably.

yea i would bet not that many people have experemented with this.

you can cut yours a little at a time until it doesnt work the buy a new barrel and cut it down to the right length.biggrin.png

i would guess if you really want to make it short you could move the gas block.

Do you realize it's illegal to have a shotgun barrel under 18 inches?

not if you want to do a little paper work and pay a little money plus don't live in a communist state...

• Like 1

Mine is cut down to 18.125". Prior to cutting it down I could cycle rounds down to 1400 fps without using a spacer. Since I cut it, I can't run anything lower than 1550 fps +/- without the spacer.

My guess is if you cut it down to 14" you're going to need the spacer and a custom spring from Wolf. Perhaps even needing to enlarge the gas ports. I wouldn't take the chance until Clyde starts stocking replacement barrels electric_shock.gif

I guess I should have started by saying that I was going to apply for the $200 stamp prior to doing any cutting. As I stated before I saw that tony Rumore had already cut one down and also Mark Krebs did a video with one cut down. My question to the forum is, has anyone continued with testing to see how short you can go and what adjustments to the gas system if any need to be done to make sure it cycles reliably.

Also the reason that I would like to go short is to possibly be use for a breaching shotgun. I'm on my departments tactical team and I thought it would be very useful to have a mag of breaching rounds then be able to dump that mag and load a mag of buck to complete the entry. So any info that anyone has already gathered would be very useful in determining weather this is a worthwhile use of my time.

I also know that I would not need a stamp if my department built and owned the shotgun but we are allowed to use our personally owned weapons on duty and I like the shotgun and wanted to keep it all for me. If my department likes what I have done they can always purchase another and let me make the mods to it.

It doesnt seem that it would be horribly hard to move the gas block for someone with a little machining/gunsmithing knowledge. it looks like you can move it back by about 2" then maybe open up the ports and tune it with the springs.

Tony,

Did you try to run any hi brass through it?