Polishing Question

Is the metal in the bolt and bolt carrier a different grade of material than what is in my S12? It seems to me that it is much harder material and has a different hue in it. Second question is, does anyone polish their rifle bolt & carrier? I know you do not have to profile like you do the S12, but I haven't seen or read any threads about it like you will find in the shotgun section. Just curious. My rifle works flawlessly, just like the looks of a polished carrier. Thanks....Mike

I do not know if the material is different. Ask Cobra Customs. He does a lot of polishing work. I had him do the bolt, carrier and trigger group on my wife's Saiga. Cobra told me the rifles don't need it as much as the S12, but it did make her rifle cycle alot smoother. Trigger is also improved. I have also seen a number of bolt handles polished to make the rifle pop a little.

Thanks, I was wondering because when I profiled and polished my shotgun, it went as smooth as butter. With my .223, I'm really working it against the wheel. When I finally got the paint off, I noticed the metal seemed to be different in color. So, I figured there must be more iron in this carrier. Don't really know metal-ology. Was hoping someone would clear this up for me. And yes, polishing really does improve action. Plus, I like the way it looks as well! Another question I had was the firing pin on my .223 does not stick out as much as my S12. The part in the back of the bolt the hammer slams on to. Is this normal size, or have I worn her out and need to be thinking about replacing? post-45976-0-53829900-1359163227.pngpost-45976-0-52283700-1359163191.png

edited to add pics

Edited by Sport Rescue

I like the bolt/carrier to be black personally. Polishing for action? The parts will wear in together in a thousand rounds or so. Only time I've really had to work on an AK bolt was my WASR that had a new bolt with numerous machining burrs which had to be removed and chamfered.

I like the bolt/carrier to be black personally. Polishing for action? The parts will wear in together in a thousand rounds or so.

Yeah. I do too. I dont feel that polishing the parts are mandatory, as they will break in on their own. But I also feel that polishing them will make the action that much smoother, to a level that is unobtainable for the parts to do on their own. Just preference.

Im sending my 7.62 bolt and carrier to Cobra for a polish job. I look forward to having one done by him. Ive done a few in the past, but they werent very professional by any means, but it did work and work well in my old WASR. I did notice a difference, but wasnt required.

Polishing the bolt/ carrier is just a cosmetic thing .

I polished mine because I like it better and since my Saiga is already converted , it gives it the look of the AK . I did polish the bolt/carrier on my PSL also . It does nothing to the functioning of the firearm.