Noob' at hand!

Hey fellas...and anyone else with a more desirable anatomy, big_smile.gif

I'm a bit of a noob' to guns in general, but particularly to the Saiga 223. So here's the silly question I haven't been able to find the answer to yet...which I can't believe..... I looked at the "manual" but didn't get my question answered there either. Maybe it's my eye's....but what is the little tab you can push up just to the right of the front of trigger guard on the 223 for?

I'm also looking at the Tapco T-6 stock to replace the stock...stock.... Everyone who has it seems pretty happy. I've seen others that are non adjustable, but collapsible for as high as $189 and don't really understand the diff and why one would spend 3x as much for one like that vs the $43.00 one from Tapco?

I just became a member of this forum today since I was lucky enough to snag a bone stock Saiga 223 three weeks ago for 4 bills. So i'm deciding whether to just add the T-6 or wait and go for a complete AKA conversion. I'm totally open to suggestions and education. In the meanwhile I'll keep searching the forum for info.

Thanks in advance for any help delivered in layman's terms.

The tab is a manual bolt hold open. Press it up while pulling back the bolt, then release the bolt. It will be held open until pulled back again.

Most will suggest you do the trigger group conversion and then purchase a regular AK stock set of some sort. If you choose to leave the trigger alone and purchase a Saiga-specific Tapco stock, you can sell it down the road if you change your mind. The stock trigger is just simply bad when compared to any other normal AK trigger group.

I fully agree with Mancat; move the FCG, add pistol grip and then add stock.

Look through conversion threads on this forum and get an idea.

You can't go wrong with Tapco G2 trigger set; other alternatives are available. You will be a lot happier with aftermarket trigger.

Remember 922® count of US-made parts, once decided on conversion.

Have fun,

Happy Shooting!

Thanks mancat,

With bucks being pretty tight and the cost of anything even related to guns gone insane, I just may be better off throwing 65 bucks at the tapco for comfort for now and wait out the frenzied market for better value down the road....depending on where that road leads I guess...

I have not had the opportunity to shoot it yet. I'm burning with curiosity though considering all I've heard. Didn't know the trigger was such a looser on the Saiga. How much worse than lets say a stock AR? Seemed like a fairly long pull dry. I guess I'll have to experience it to really know.

Finally have a good use for my Wolf rounds now though! Was a little hesitant to run 'em through the AR.

By the way...any particular trigger group you'd recommend for when the time comes?

Thanks

Just saw this....

I fully agree with Mancat; move the FCG, add pistol grip and then add stock.

Look through conversion threads on this forum and get an idea.

You can't go wrong with Tapco G2 trigger set; other alternatives are available. You will be a lot happier with aftermarket trigger.

Remember 922® count of US-made parts, once decided on conversion.

Have fun,

Happy Shooting!

OK, just saw this too. What is the biggest complaint about the stock set up if I may ask? Is it the positioning or the pull....or both? I'll certainly look into the G2 though.

Is the conversion something a layman with very little tinker experience can get away with attempting, or will it require someone with a little more gun savvy to install correctly? And yes, I need to take some time to just read through the conversion threads too. Just found this site and since leisure reading time is rare these days, I have a tendency to tap into you guys a little quickly..

Thanks for any advice thrown my way!

It's a inferior "sportster" trigger group with its long and weird pull and its limited feedback/ feel, that most people don't care for.

Basic conversion doesn't require advanced skills and yes, "a layman with very little tinker experience can get away with" completing it.

What you need is to decide on list of components you wish to install.

Basically, you need a plan of action.

Look through following and see if this is something you wish to do yourself and more comfortable "outsourcing" to local gunsmith or handy range buddy.

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-template/Videos-and-Links/Page

CSS is a great source of parts and accessories.

Check at Forum's Business Members' section as well.

The stock Saiga trigger is designed to be used with a hunting type stock, and has extra moving parts. The pull angle is also more upward then straight back. which the latter is better suited for pistol grips.

Tapco G2 is a huge improvement over stock, and also "wows" the AR 15 crowd with its smoothness.

Edited by Jetmech