AK 5.56 build

The Weiger barrel needs to be reprofiled on a lathe, or have the individual barrel components bored out to match the existing barrel journal diameters. I don't have a Weiger barrel but I know that they don't share the same external dimensions as an AK-74 barrel. I looked into using one for a 5.56 build.

The Weiger barrel is already the correct diameter to press into and headspace easily in an AK-74 trunnion.

Here are some PDF CAD dimensions of the various barrels if you want to take a look: http://www.robertforbus.com/Kalashnikova.htm

Many people have done 5.56 builds using a 5.45 bolt/extractor and 5.45 trunnion and bullet guide. You don't need a 5.56 extractor or even a 5.56 bolt. The 5.45 bolt will properly handle a 5.56 cartridge - the rim diameter difference between the two is two or three hundredths of a millimeter.

Edited by mancat
  • Like 2

Also just so you can see how close the two are.. These are some photos I snapped a while back for another user. Saiga .223 bolt and carrier are on the left, Bulgarian AK-74 bolt and carrier on the right. Both are holding a 5.56 snap cap securely with equal "droop"

diTKO.jpg

Here you can see that the two bolts are nearly identical in face profile and case rim area - 5.56 rim is 9.7mm, 5.45 rim is 10.1mm. IF YOU DO have extractor problems, the extractor claw can be tuned to set further into the case rim by removing the extractor and relieving some material from where it contacts the inner bolt face.

3Dt8I.jpg

P.S. the 5.45 bolt will even work as a replacement in a Saiga. I checked mine for headspace, it passed a GO gauge and would not close on NO-GO. So it was OK. Put it in and fired a mag of rounds, no problem.

Edited by mancat
  • Like 4

I'm in the process of a build like this. I picked up a K-Var 5.56 barrel and a Bulgarian 74 kit. From what I hear there should be no problem.

I haven't sent it off to the builder yet as I'm waiting on two more parts to arrive. I'm trying to be patient.

I have built one with a Saiga 223 , with a 1/7 barrel and AK-74 parts. Only issue is the RSB from a AK-74 is not calibrated correctly. You can also use a Nodak 5.45 reciever if you want to make a side folder. I checked with Harlen and he said the extracter is long enough to work out of the box. If you are building from scractch, get a 22mm AK-74 front trunion . This will allow you to use either Bulgarian Circle 10 or Beryl mags. If you are using Saiga as a base, you need to check to see if you have a gun with a 22mm or 23mm Trunnion . Older Siagas will need the Trunnion milled a bit to make the mags fit and the interdiction tab removed.