Help with the bullet guide in Austin, TX

Hey guys. I'm a little new to the family of AKs.

I'm about 90% complete with my conversion.

Lets see.. I've installed the tapco trigger group, tromix trigger guard, hogue pistol grip, and a tapco m4 type 6 position stock.

I really like the look and feel of the gun.

I'm a little stuck on the bullet guide. When I tried to do it free hand I couldn't keep it from wandering from my detent. So I stopped all together. And now am looking for someone near Austin tx that can allow me/help me install the bullet guide.

I know that it is supposed to be easy. I'm just a newbie looking for a helping hand.

Thanks for reading!

Id help ya out but im on the opposite end of the country lol. What exactly is the issue? I've done 3 in the past 2 month's and i just put the BG on the trunion and make a mark where i want to drill/thread then remove the BG and tap the hole. I know it's a bit nerve racking the first time but it's probably the easiest part of the conversion. Mark it, drill & thread it, put a little red loctite on the screw and tighten it down good and snug but do not over tighten it otherwise you'll strip the threads and have to weld the BG on...

Just take your time and i promise you'll do just fine :)

Well. So I started with putting the bullet guide in. Then I marked the spot with the punch. Started drilling and when I stopped to look after to sweep away the metal shavings. I noticed that my drill bit drifted. So I got scared and stopped.

I only drilled a little bit. And afterward I took the bullet guide and it will still cover the small amount metal I removed. Needless to say, I thought I ruined the gun.

I was thinking that a drill press would do the trick. Or a really steady hand. As far as tapping it and locktite that will be easy.

• 4 weeks later...

i didnt like to just put the punch in the middle of the bullet guide and hope the guide didnt move as i wacked with hammer. instead i put the bullet guide in the mark center with a pencil. then you can use the punch and mark center. after your mark is done put the guide back in to make sure the punch didnt wander on you and after you determine all is good get to drillin and drill strait. good luck my friend.

• 4 weeks later...