anyone doing 550 gr lee 12 ga pumpkin balls?

There are a few threads here about lee fosters. short answer is that load data for genuine Fed 12S0 1 oz loads is going to work well in straight shells, and Winchester silver wads for taper.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?67781-Lyman-525-amp-NEF-UltraSLug&highlight=peter

those big pellet slugs look promising too...

I dont thing you want to shoot that out of a shotgun.

That is made to shot with out a wad cup.

It will fly all over the place, like a knuckle ball.

i can hit steel at 100 with some homemade loads, but i am doin a typical loads, cycling 1 at a time. wanna work up some mag fed loads..

I cast and shoot the Lyman pellet (525 slug) they work great out of my Saiga.

The .715 ball is a bit big for a choke, dont ya think?

12 gauge is .729", choke it down and it will get tight, again I would not

use a .715 ball in mine.

You can see how they preform in a sand bag.(525 lyman slug)

post-37682-0-64833200-1362195778_thumb.jpg

Edited by RED333
  • Like 1

.690 pumpkin balls are common enough with the shotcup petal cut beneath the hemisphere such that the shotcup does not add to diameter. I just don't see much point to casting pumpkin balls when you can make more accurate fosters or shuttle cock style for about the same cost and effort. Maybe if you had a gang mold that dropped them 4 at a time or something and cut the sprue clean.

I've got the lee 1 oz mold and was getting good slugs from my first attempt. The mold costs ~$20 and a lee bottom pour is about $55. I make around 200 each time I set out to cast for an hour or so. Basically, one session of casting will pay for the supplies versus buying even "cheaper" pumpkin balls from precision or ballistic products.

I'd like to get a lyman 525. too, but that is much more money and apparently a bit slower. People say it is more accurate in both smooth and rifled, but it is finickier to cast with and more time consuming at best.

Some people say pumpkin balls penetrate car doors better than fosters. I guess that matters if you still need to fill your car tags for the season.

I think MSrDiver put a recipe for pumpkin ball loading in a thread somewhere, but if not, I won't put up his recipe. He is understandably careful about how he shares potentially dangerous info, but has been very helpful to me.

So has Red333 for that matter.

Edited by GunFun