I was running around today and stopped to check for ammo and whaddya know... a brand new Saiga 7.62 with dimples for $419. So i brought it home, ordered part's and just realized the very front of the gas tube has 4 holes, 2 on each side. Is this normal? My other 762 doesn't have them (visible anyway)post-46357-0-64717600-1362189208_thumb.jpg

Good to know it's good to go. I gotta wait for parts then I'll post a pic :) I'm selling/trading the one i got for $300 3 months ago to my brother for $400 and a FN FNS-9 pistol. Not a bad investment!

Also, my other 762 I cut the whole FSB off but this one i plan on keeping the front sight. How much of the sleeve should i cut off to thread? All the way up to the sight post?

Pipe Cutter
IMHO, the best way is to use a small pipe cutter, works great and won't cut too deep.
Once it completes the cut, the shroud sometimes noticeably moves/turns and/or pops off.

On a factory threaded barrel, the threads only go 5/8" back, not all the way to the FSB.
Cutting all the way back will leave a large gap between the FSB and a muzzle attachment... This avoids that.

Most small pipe cutters will not cut all the way back, most cut back .5" (9/16"), which is just shy of the threads factory base.
You can then index against the remaining shroud with a crush/peel washer.

Dremel
Place barrel securely in vise
Mark shroud for cut... Circumferential.
Use a new cutoff wheel
Work slowly and cautiously and don't go too deep, mark your cutoff wheel, no deeper than 1/8"-3/16" or you risk cutting into the barrel.
Once you think your close, stick a screwdriver in the cut and try to pop it off.
If not, go a cunt hair deeper, repeat as necessary.

100_9073.jpg

No Gap, flash hider is indexed with a crush washer.
100_9111.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you sir, very informative. That's the same flash hider I have so that's a great reference. I did my last 762 with a dremel and actually picked up a pipe cutter today so that's what i plan on using. It somewhat looks like i might have threads, it's hard to tell but with the first 2 Saigas i bought it was easy to see there weren't any threads.

That's 3 S7.62's in 3 months for $1300 :)

Edited by dubya

what kind of pipe cutter did you get? As in diameter specs. Fleet farm and homedepot have some inexpensive ones.

also could you post a picture and the name of said crush washer? And who might carry them. Im planning on doing my own work on the muzzlebreak.

On a side note. Im looking for an inexpensive vertical grip. Nothing fancy as Im going to paint my forgrip pistol grip and stock.

Edited by breid1970

It's kinda cool this new 762 already has a PG hole cut in it from the factory, i haven't seen that before. My mini tax return i got this year couldn't have come on a better day! It's nice too, my other RWC i had and my buddy's RWC both had the Velcro patch, this one doesn't.

I am threading the barrel in a couple hour's then waitin for a package from CSS (probably Wednesday. A lot of the part's are one's i bought for my first 762 but put that Kvar stock, Tapco PG and factory handguard that i put a rail on (the tan furniture i showed you breid) all back on the one i traded/sold my brother. I have a Msgpul CTR stock, Chaos quad rail handguard, MD Arms Molot pistol grip (until i find a Magpul MOE AK grip!), Magpul RVG V-grip that's going on and ordered a new G2 FCG, angled trigger guard, new castle nut and new bullet guide. Im keeping the front sight on this one and ordering a TWS peep sight for it since i already have the dustcover.

I might try the Ultimak railed gas tube to go with the TWS dustcover and run flip up Troy battle sights instead of the factory sight. Pics on Wednesday probably..

Now i just need to find someone with a 5.45 or S12 to trade for my AR!

I was running around today and stopped to check for ammo and whaddya know... a brand new Saiga 7.62 with dimples for $419. So i brought it home, ordered part's and just realized the very front of the gas tube has 4 holes, 2 on each side. Is this normal? My other 762 doesn't have them (visible anyway)attachicon.gif2013-03-01_19-50-50_45.jpg

yes that is normal in fact it is desirable i believe for the saiga platform due to the probability that it is overgassed. it will help relieve some gas block pressure.

Thankyou Kindly good sir. Now if only we could get that saiga pirate Dubs to post some damn pics

Make sure you get one (pipe cutter) that'll fit all the way around the barrel. The one i bought didn't, probably only cut 50% and the rest was Dremel work. Threading was easier than i expected, as long as you go slow and back off every little bit you cut it's easy. Just dont get the die too hot.

Yes, the end of the FSB is a shroud, cut it off, it may or may not cover factory threads.

If you win Ivan's lottery, you'll have factory threads, like in my pic.

If not, you thread it yourself.

Cool! I have been holding back from getting a device on it because my front sight is really perfect, and I do not need a bayonet or cleaning rod.

Is there a specific thread measurement always needed? I know CSS has supplies, but I am wondering about device measurements to watch out for, e.g. Do diameters differ, thread sizes, etc.?

Edited by Remek

Yeah i got all excited, i could have swore I had thread's when the pipe cutter got through the top half of the sleeve but nope... threaded itmyself. I kinda want to thread my Kimber Montana 338 federal now and add a removable brake (it's a pretty stout load, especially in a 5# hunting rifle), just have to figure out what die to get.

Cool! I have been holding back from getting a device on it because my front sight is really perfect, and I do not need a bayonet or cleaning rod.

Is there a specific thread measurement always needed? I know CSS has supplies, but I am wondering about device measurements to watch out for, e.g. Do diameters differ, thread sizes, etc.?

Check out the thread i started (page 1) called "quick question about DIY threading", lots of good replies.

Okay okay.... this is it so far. Im waiting for my package from CSS containing a bullet guide, G2 trigger group (eventually a RSA trigger probably), angled trigger guard, new internal block, and castle nut. I need to also order a TWS rear peep to mount under or behind my red dot/scope. Maybe a Trijicon front sight post too (night sight).post-46357-0-12052100-1362285756_thumb.jpgpost-46357-0-44787900-1362285779_thumb.jpgpost-46357-0-54700100-1362285795_thumb.jpg

Edited by dubya
And yet no pictures. I cry shenanigans. Dont be scared Dubs. I have faith! Also, if you mess up your stock forgrip I have the factory saiga one which i would be willing to trade for a verticle hand grip!

Lol i have 2 stock handguards already sitting around! Add a rail onto the bottom like i did to the one i painted tan. As long as you have a drill and Dremel it's cake. Also, there's a Magpul angled fore grip for sale in the classifieds, I'm thinking of trying one myself.

Nice rig. Can't wait to see it completed.

My Arsenal has the same four holes as your pic. When I got my Arsenal 2 years ago, I picked it up for $400 because the shop owner knew me. I've been offered $1600 recently, and turned it down. Now that "food" for these things is scarce, I got people hounding me for the 2 cases of Yugo I hoarded last year(when it was still $179/1260 at AIM). I sold a coworker 120rnds of Tula for $75 last week. He made the offer, not me. haha.gif

Okay i finally got all my parts in and got the S762 i picked up on Friday done. Magpul CTR stock, TWS dust cover, angled trigger guard, Tapco G2 FCG, Tromix charging handle, MD Arms Molot pistol grip, Chaos quad rail, Phantom flash hider, Leupold Prismatic optic, and US Palm mag. post-46357-0-97530700-1362617504_thumb.jpg

TWS rear peep is on the way.

My brother is also a supervisor at a metal finishing/paint shop so he's going to blast, prep, paint and bake the rifle for me with my choice of 128 different colors of ceramic based paint for free!

Edited by dubya

Chile, which specific pipe cutter would you recommend? I assume it needs to be fairly small to allow you to cut close to the front sight base?