New 308 Hunter. Using Safety as Bolt Hold Open?

I picked up a .308 Hunter from my FFL yesterday that I ordered from Centerfire after they dropped the price & before it went back up again. I was checking it out & noticed that when the safety is engaged (on Safe) then I couldn't pull the bolt back. Then I got the idea of pulling the bolt back with it on Fire, putting it on Safe & seeing if the bolt would close. I found out that the safety does hold the bolt open pretty securely that way.

Last night I took it apart to oil the stock & was looking at why it worked like that. I have no idea if this was done intentionally or not, but it seems to work. I wonder if it will hold up like that for when at the range?

I also noticed that the trigger group has an overtravel stop built in. Mine was nowhere near where it should've been to function right. I went to adjust it in, but it was staked. So, I backed it out, used a stiff brush to make the threads on the screw usable again, screwed it in, adjusted, & then used a black paint marker on both ends of the screw to set it.

And it is still in pieces, so no pics yet. I'm using some old Formby's High Gloss Tung Oil on the stock. I found the oil in some of my grandfather's gun stuff last year. The date on the bottle is 1980 which was when I was born. It was a bit dried up, but some rubbing alcohol seems to have brought it back well. I liked the results on my other 308 VEPR.

Last night I was considering sending out the barreled receiver & some other parts to get refinished in something like CCR's Cera-Plate II or Robar's NP3 like some of my Berettas or their newer NP3 Plus.

• 1 year later...