I have a 7.62x39 Saiga that I bought brand new a year ago for $400. It was imported by TGI in Knox, TN, and redistributed/sold unconverted to the LGS/pawn shop I bought it from. Has mag well dimples, and all other true Saiga/Izhmash markings, appears to have a threaded barrel under the FSB shroud, etc. All I have done to it so far is add a UTG tele stock with the M249-style grip.

Anyway, I am not happy with the way the FSB was mounted/crimped. It is very noticeably canted to the left when looking through the sights. The front sight post was drilled and inserted to the right from the factory, to compensate for the FSB being mounted poorly. Thus the sight post is much, much closer to the cage on the right than it is on the left, almost to the point that I would have to press it to the left before I would attempt to unthread it.

My question is, is my best bet just to drill/relieve the four crimps/dimples on the FSB, turn it to my satisfaction, then weld it in place? If I do this I will also be re-tooling the FSB sight post as well. Or, should I just yank the FSB off and put one on with a muzzle brake, since it appears my barrel has threads. Putting a muzzle brake on is not a huge priority for me, just lining the FSB up to my liking is the main goal. Any suggestions are welcome.

Personally i would very carefully cut lengthwise through the dimpled FSB on both sides and just replace the whole thing with a different FSB. It's not a bad idea because then you can really see if the barrel is threaded. I was 95% sure my most recent one was but turned out it was not threaded.

If it's not threaded you can thread it yourself easily or buy a FSB that is threaded for AK74 style attachments.

Edited by dubya
Personally i would very carefully cut lengthwise through the dimpled FSB on both sides and just replace the whole thing with a different FSB. It's not a bad idea because then you can really see if the barrel is threaded. I was 95% sure my most recent one was but turned out it was not threaded.

If it's not threaded you can thread it yourself easily or buy a FSB that is threaded for AK74 style attachments.

I was thinking about that... new crimped, pinned, or welded?

Just give it a whack with a mallet.

You read the manual too huh? big_smile.gif

• Like 1

I would think it'd be easiest just to weld it after that but you'd have to make sure the FSB you're welding on is the one you for sure want. Anythings gotta be better than a crooked one! Another idea i was going to do was remove the FSB, thread the barrel & install a flash hider then buy an Ultimak railed gas tube and TWS dustcover then you can run flip up AR style sights but that'd cost 300-400 buckaroos.

cut it off and install a 24mm threaded FSB.

you probably won't move the dimpled FSB by hitting it. if you manage to do so, you'll deform the dimples internally and it will no longer be a secure fit.

you probably won't move the dimpled FSB by hitting it. if you manage to do so, you'll deform the dimples internally and it will no longer be a secure fit.

I'll agree, but if he pins it afterwards, then he shouldnt have any issues. I don know if he'll manage to move it. Putting a 24mm block on is prolly the best way to go.

I would think it'd be easiest just to weld it after that but you'd have to make sure the FSB you're welding on is the one you for sure want. Anythings gotta be better than a crooked one! Another idea i was going to do was remove the FSB, thread the barrel & install a flash hider then buy an Ultimak railed gas tube and TWS dustcover then you can run flip up AR style sights but that'd cost 300-400 buckaroos.

I would be happy with re-using the original FSB if possible. I don't mind the style, just the alignment. I am intrigued by the TWS cover, but I will probably lay off that since I want to keep the original sights for now.

That's what I am thinking too. Even though the FSB is canted, the dimples appear to line up with where the recesses in the barrel would be, so I am afraid that simply hitting it would loosen it as you said.

I'll agree, but if he pins it afterwards, then he shouldnt have any issues. I don know if he'll manage to move it. Putting a 24mm block on is prolly the best way to go.

Well I'm going to try to relieve the dimples and move it first. If that works I can try drilling/pinning it. If all else fails I suppose I'll just have to remove it anyway, and go with a different FSB, like a 24mm threaded as mentioned. Either way it's going to be moved/removed.