Protection for Buyers of Gun Parts in Internet Transactions

Hello, forgive me if this is the wrong place for this question. I'm interested in safely buying some hi cap magazines from a private seller found through the internet, not on these forums. I know paypal and ebay will not cover you for hi cap mags and I have read another topic saying they might not cover you if its labeled as a gift or collectible.

I was wondering if anyone could advise me on the best method for paying the seller with some measure of protection for my money so that I don't get burned if it happens to be a fraudulent deal.

Is there a method of documentation that will ensure paypal will cover you if your item doesnt show up?

Is there another payment method available that will insure your purchase?

Thanks for your input!

You can dispute a sale via paypal, but they will probably shoot you down if they discover that what you were buying were firearms parts.

Buy from reputable businesses online, using a credit card if possible.

Hello, forgive me if this is the wrong place for this question. I'm interested in safely buying some hi cap magazines from a private seller found through the internet, not on these forums. I know paypal and ebay will not cover you for hi cap mags and I have read another topic saying they might not cover you if its labeled as a gift or collectible.

I was wondering if anyone could advise me on the best method for paying the seller with some measure of protection for my money so that I don't get burned if it happens to be a fraudulent deal.

Is there a method of documentation that will ensure paypal will cover you if your item doesnt show up?

Thanks for your input!

Could you please define a "hi cap mag"?

You sound like somebody trying to buy something illegal. When you let them own the language you let them control the argument.

Thanks for your input!

Could you please define a "hi cap mag"?

You sound like somebody trying to buy something illegal. When you let them own the language you let them control the argument.

Good point, I was referencing paypal/ebays policy of prohibiting transactions involving magazines over 10 rounds using their term "hi capacity magazines", but I understand what you mean. The magazines in question are legal for me to own.

Ya might want to try buying from an established member of a forum. You can flame them if the sale is a bust. Other than that, don't know how you would protect yourself other than the ideas posted here. What were you looking for?

If you use PayPal, do not gift the payment (you purchased goods) and have your source of funding come from a credit card. That way you have PayPal buyer protection for the dispute process if necessary. And should the item not be covered under their policy you have the credit card company with whom you can stop/reverse the payment through contacting them directly. It shouldn't matter what you purchased - only that the seller did not fulfill their end of the deal. It also helps to view feedback/references on a seller, get their contact info (physical address and landline number), and throughly discuss exactly what you are getting (make, model, s/n, etc.), what condition it is in, when it will be sent, how it will be (USPS, UPS, FedEx, etc.) and it should be trackable, and insurance. Insurance is important - it protects the seller. Let me restate that - insurance protects the seller against loss. The industry standard is that the item is the sellers until the buyer takes possession. When an insured item is lost or damaged in transit the seller initiates the claim. The seller (insurer) gets any settlement.

Edited by Dysfunctional