Pro Mag 12 Round Drum Won't Take 2 3/4" Royal Buckshot

I have two new Pro Mag 12 round drums that will not accept the Royal Buck 2 3/4" high brass shells.

They appear to be too long to fit into the drum. Can the front feed ramp on the mag be filed down to accept the shells or am I asking for trouble? It would seem to me that 2 3/4" should be 2 3/4" regardless of the shell manufacturer. I don't want to have to worry about fit every time I buy a different box of ammo. All help will be appreciated. Gun dealer has offered to take them back in exchange for ten round mags and refund the difference but I would like to keep them if I can get them to work.

Neverhome

Nope, and see here:MD20 Ammo Table Guide - PDF attached! - Page 3 - Saiga-12 - forum.Saiga-12.com

Also, you fundamentally misunderstand what measurements like 2 3/4" and 3" mean for shotgun shells. It has very little to do with loaded length. It merely means that the shell will be no longer than that length unfolded or unrolled and that its pressure is within SAAMI specs for that designation.

GunFun,

Thanks for the great info. I was about ready to trade these drums in for sticks. The info you provided makes that unnecessary. The Royal Buck 00 buck, measures 2:08 from top of crimp to primer (unfired). These are too long for the Pro Mag 12 Round Drum. I tried some Winchester Slugs measuring 2:06 and they worked, ad did some PMC 00 buck at 2:04. I don't have the time to load this into your chart today but will get to it as quickly as possible.

Thanks again for your efforts in making this chart and for your help.

Neverhome

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...