Can one of the polymer stocks for a unmodified Saiga be fitted to a co

With the understanding that it's going to be shorter in length, could you take one of the new dragunov style polymer stocks designed to fit an unconverted Saiga and deepen the receiver slot and make it fit a converted gun? It seems to be fairly easy to find one for a unconverted gun, and with the simple addition of a slip on pad you could make up for the length. Without one in hand it's hard to tell from pics if it's an option or if you wouldn't be able to get a good mate up to the receiver sides, material for tang mill out, etc.

Edit-damn, it cut off my title...

Edited by 6500rpm

I had that stock on an unconverted S-12. With the rotating cheek rest it is actually a nice stock but I believe after you calculate all the time spent modifying the rear trunnion and cutting needed on the stock that you'd be happier with the results if you just went with the Advance Technology Fiberforce. No modifications needed.

597806.jpg

I was looking at this style be be exact,

I understand this. The picture of the Saiganov stock you posted is the one I was referring too. It's a nice stock. I liked how I could rotate the cheek rest when I wasn't using it. I personally would not go ahead with your plans. I don't see it working out well. I'm not here to piss on anyone's parade. Just giving you my 2 cents. If you do proceed and you end up liking the results please post back with pictures. I wouldn't mind being proven wrong. But to get it to work you'd have to do major cutting into the stock and quite possibly you'd have to modify the rear trunnion. This is something I would not be interested in doing when there are viable alternative

options.

Edited: As you mentioned this mod will move the stock forward. I guesstimate roughly 3 inches. This might be enough to negate the use of the cheek rest. In my opinion the cheek rest is the only reason to use this stock in the first place. How are you going to go about making up the lost length? You'll have to modify a BIG butt pad as well.

Edited by HighPlainsDrifter

I never take constructive critisizm as parrade pissing- if someone said I tried it and it's a failure you've just saved me some cash. My one concern was the depth of the receiver cut between the pistol grip and top tube section and if there were any voids in the polymer. I've seen similar mods done to PSL stocks they put on AK's back when thumb hole compliance was required. This is kind of the same thought for a PSL build on a square back NoDak receiver.

If there are voids just fill it in with some epoxy. Also you'll have to use a PG nut and bolt, too, but that shouldn't be the difficult part. Go to black horse arsenals page and look at their AK drag stocks, that should give you a good idea of the dimensions needed.

If there are voids just fill it in with some epoxy. Also you'll have to use a PG nut and bolt, too, but that shouldn't be the difficult part. Go to black horse arsenals page and look at their AK drag stocks, that should give you a good idea of the dimensions needed.

Thanks for the link Risky. It's the first time I heard of Black Horse Arsenal.

This is exactly what 6500rpm is looking at doing...

akstock_1.jpg

And now I'm thinking of possibly buying the expandable version...

akexopen_1.jpg

6500rpm: If you go the route of modifying the Saiganov stock the cheapest I've been able to find them are at Legion USA for $99 which includes free shipping.

Edited by HighPlainsDrifter

HPD, watch out for Black Horse Arsenal for the next few months and see how things go. There's several threads in the SVD/PSL section of the AK Files forum. I don't know what happened, they were producing stocks and furnature from SVD units and then something went terribly wrong with the company. If they dig their way out they have several interesting items on the plate. I'm not sure who manufactures or made the Saiga stocks, but I'm looking at them as an option at this point. From a price point, from what I've seen the Saiga stocks are about half the price of a SVD/ BHA unit.

BTW, I was browsing armslist the other day and saw an ad for a Saiga 12 that had a stock just like the BHA stock, but it was supposedly OEM and came with the shotgun. I'll see if I can find the ad again. I sent the guy a message asking if he'd sell the stock alone but never got a response, lol. I had no idea any of the shotguns were shipping with actual converted-style drag stocks.

Here it is... now that I see it again, it does look quite like a BHA stock and very well may be... the ad doesn't say if it is OEM or not. Anyone got anything to add?

http://www.armslist.com/posts/1119202/louisville-kentucky-shotguns-for-sale-trade--coverted-saiga-12-ga-shotgun

1119202_05_professionally_coverted_saiga

Edited by Risky