Saiga handguard lower bracket

Finally decided to convert to ak(wood) handguards, did a search on it, and found a couple ways of doing it. First one was removing the fsb. I don't want to go that route because it looks like its too much work. The other way is the bolt on bracket. I like the bracket from saiga-ak.com but its been out of stock forever, I found another one on brownells, but looks hella cheap, and for some reason I don't like the one from CSS.

What other options do I have? Anyone know of another place that sells a bracket like the one from saiga-ak?

Another option is to modify a standard retainer to slip over the barrel, this is what I did.

You have to cut a chunk out of the top of it, then cut a couple notches into it to form "ears" that can flex around the barrel, tap it on, then make sure they go back to their original position, and make some way to secure it to the barrel. Your barrel will need to have the notches cut on the sides for an original to work.

I made a new lever similar to the original, so I can take it on and off without tools, some people just use a nut and bolt, you'll need to cut a notch in the top of your barrel for this to sit in.

I'll try to get pictures up tomorrow.

Another option is to modify a standard retainer to slip over the barrel, this is what I did.

You have to cut a chunk out of the top of it, then cut a couple notches into it to form "ears" that can flex around the barrel, tap it on, then make sure they go back to their original position, and make some way to secure it to the barrel. Your barrel will need to have the notches cut on the sides for an original to work.

I made a new lever similar to the original, so I can take it on and off without tools, some people just use a nut and bolt, you'll need to cut a notch in the top of your barrel for this to sit in.

I'll try to get pictures up tomorrow.

Pictures would be awesome

Pis 1 and 2: just showing how it looks, I haven't refinished it, but I don't think it looks terrible as is.

#3: Your barrel will need the slot cut on both sides, some saigas have it, some don't, you'll need to cut a slot in the top, for the lock to use, I don't have any measurements for this, I just put the handguard on, marked it, and cut until it fit well.

#4: The replacement lever I made, when I cut through the top of the retainer, the old one got cut in half, I've seen some people just use a nut and bolt, 10-32 looks like it would fit pretty well.

#5: to get the retainer on the barrel, you need to cut two slots where the arrows are pointing, this will let the sides of the retainer flex enough to get it around the barrel, you'll probably have to heat treat it, I've heard of these being brittle, and breaking. Also, you need to cut a large section out of the top, I used a mill, but careful work with a dremel will work.

34oegk2.jpg

8xiwba.jpg

301dpae.jpg

2wdu98m.jpg

25ixmp2.jpg

• Like 1

Pis 1 and 2: just showing how it looks, I haven't refinished it, but I don't think it looks terrible as is.

#3: Your barrel will need the slot cut on both sides, some saigas have it, some don't, you'll need to cut a slot in the top, for the lock to use, I don't have any measurements for this, I just put the handguard on, marked it, and cut until it fit well.

#4: The replacement lever I made, when I cut through the top of the retainer, the old one got cut in half, I've seen some people just use a nut and bolt, 10-32 looks like it would fit pretty well.

#5: to get the retainer on the barrel, you need to cut two slots where the arrows are pointing, this will let the sides of the retainer flex enough to get it around the barrel, you'll probably have to heat treat it, I've heard of these being brittle, and breaking. Also, you need to cut a large section out of the top, I used a mill, but careful work with a dremel will work.

34oegk2.jpg

8xiwba.jpg

301dpae.jpg

2wdu98m.jpg

25ixmp2.jpg

Thank you. I might have to look into this with mine.

CSS has a bolt on lower handguard retainer for about 50 bucks that does require you put a notch in the barrel but it seems to be pretty solid. And it then allows you to use standard ak lower and upper as long as you swap out to a standard AK47 gas tube.