saiga 308 bolt action gun

I have been contemplated a bolt action rifle in 308. I want to use steel cases while I build up my brass collection. anyone have any knowledge about the saiga los-7 308 bolt action rilfe? I am sure they should be able to handle steel case ammo with not issues that I have heard about the Ruger gunsite etc.

yep!

I have a savage 99e 308 lever gun and wanted to replace it with the ruger gunsite scout.

I have seen several people saying that the steel cases were giving their gunsite rifles issues. FTF to eject, stuck cases.

Then I read some people were not having issues with steel cases but had only fired 20 or 30 rounds in total.

I usually put at least up to 60 rounds per week. I could not find anyone who could confirm that this type of use would not be an issue.

I have a large stash of wolf poly coated , silver bear (lacquer coated) and MFG ammo. I know the lacquer coated ammo has a reputation for jamming in American chambers but the rest should be fine.

next, i figured that a Russian bolt action would definitely handle the steel case ammo.

This evening ,I realized that, I already have a great 308 in the savage and it can do everything the scout can do. I just needed configure it in a similar and it has the benefit of a 20 inch barrel. I already know it doesn't handle the steel cases well but with brass its a great ,easy carrying, shooter.

I know myself and would rather save money by using cheaper steel case ammo for the range.

I am presently building my stash of 308 brass to hand load.

So I figured I would go ahead and get a vepr in 308. this will definitely handle all the steel case ammo I have and future brass hand loads. This gives me time to build my stash of brass, ability to shoot all the steel ammo I want, provide fire power as needed and double as a hunting weapon.

In time, I may make a decision to let go of one of them but not in the immediate future.

Its too bad that no one could give me concrete evidence that the gunsite could handle the steel case ammo without issue as it would have been nice to play with that rifle.

now I just need to sell my LNIB glock 26 4th gen to make up the money I am spending on the vepr.

Steel can be rough on extractors not designed for it.

That Savage is an excellent rifle, think you made the right choice.

I keep steel for the AKs only, brass is for the precision tools com-blok mil-surp excepted.

• 2 months later...

I had an LOS-7-1 for a few years. It is a very accurate rifle but had some flaws. The biggest was the scope mounts. It is a dove tail that is slightly larger than a .22 rail. Good mounts for it are hard to find. The magazines are plastic and cannot be found. If you break it you now have a single shot.

The good was smooth action, excellent fully adjustable trigger (make sure you get the manual for instructions), and very very accurate. I could shoot under 1" with almost any good ammo and at or under 1/2" with my handloads for it. Since the barrel is chrome lined you would probably never shoot it out. I shot quite a bit of steel cased 308 out of it with no problems.

Hope this helps.

• 1 month later...