Saiga compatible polymer fore ends

I have a converted Saiga in x39, and I am looking to change out the factory fore end for a traditional AK style fore end. Unfortunately most places don't tell you what's compatible with Saigas... I had purchased a Tapco wood kit, but it didn't fit whatsoever.

I would accept wood but am looking for polymer. Again, something like a traditional Russian AK would have.

Found this... Not sure if it would work?

http://ak-builder.com/index.php?disp...oduct_id=30463

Edited by AlphaFive

Russian, Bulgarian, East German, Polish (AKM not Tantal) , and Romanian will fit a Saiga but some filing and fitting may be needed. Yugo, Hungarian, Czech will not. Your link is to a Yugo set. Just go to Kvar and get a standard US made poly hand guard. You will also need a gas tube and upper and lower retaining springs and a lower retaining bracket.

I have a converted Saiga in x39, and I am looking to change out the factory fore end for a traditional AK style fore end. Unfortunately most places don't tell you what's compatible with Saigas... I had purchased a Tapco wood kit, but it didn't fit whatsoever.[/size]I would accept wood but am looking for polymer. Again, something like a traditional Russian AK would have.[/size]Found this... Not sure if it would work?[/size]http://ak-builder.com/index.php?disp...oduct_id=30463

What everyone else said. The reason they say not compatible with Saigas is due to them not having the lower handguard retainer and the correct gas tube. This is an easy fix by getting a gas tube for an AK74 and a bolt on lower hand guard retainer.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the replies!

Quick question on the handguard retainer...

Looking at the bolt on version, it says it clamps to the barrel. I understand the barrel is not free float to begin with, (and AK's aren't meant to be nail drivers), but wont this greatly diminish accuracy once the rifle heats up? Anyone experience this?

And I lied, I have two questions. AK 74 and AK 47 gas tubes are interchangeable, no?

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't find any significant difference in accuracy between the Saiga hand guard and a traditional AK hand guard. No AK74 and AKM gas tubes are not exactly the same. The Saiga gas tube has spring for tension like the AK74 tube. The AKM tube does not. The AKM tube is also thicker at the gas block end. The AKM tube can be filed and profiled to fit. I have AKM tubes on two Saigas and they perform great. But they don't fit out of the box. AK47 tubes I have no idea, have never seen one.