What's a good "budget" .300 Win Mag?

Hey guys:

Just wondering who makes a good, quality .300 Win. Mag. that doesn't require a second mortgage. I am referring to a bolt-action rifle. The Remington 770 is reasonably priced, but I've heard folks complain about it - something about premature throat erosion. I'd love to get a Savage 110BA, but that's too expensive. Forget about Armalite and Steyr - $$$.

I've simply come to appreciate the .300 Win. Mag.'s longer range, but it still uses a .308" bullet like many other .30 caliber rifles. I'm not trying to be Chris Kyle (though that'd be cool), but I'd like to have at least one gun with respectable long range - just in case. The "budget" aspect comes from wanting to still get a scope for it too.

Interestingly, .300 Win. Mag. has been available throughout the "ammo famine" at my Wal-Mart. That's another factor. I don't recall the bullet's weight in the Federal ammo I've seen, but I assume reloaders use 180-200 gr. bullets minimum in .300 Win. Mag. shells. Anyone know a good reloading recipe for this cartridge?

As always, I defer to you guys because you know guns more than I do. I'm still in the "it looks cool so it must shoot good" category of sniper wannabes. I can afford what one typically sees at Wal-Mart or a sporting goods store like Academy

Thank and happy shooting!

I have a Ruger M77 MkII SS with laminated stock. I paid a little north of 500 for it pre-Obama. Shoots good. The composite stocks will hurt you. The 150 gr. Hornady White Tail shoot nice out of it. The Privi from SGAmmo is good for target practice.