http://www.shootingillustrated.com/index.php/1457/tuning-the-fals-gas-system/

Assuming your FAL has the bolt hold open functional, the empty mag method is best.

If your FAL has the bolt hold open disabled (like mine did) then you have to watch your ejected brass to see how far it flys.  I wound up getting a roll pin and fixing my bolt hold open.

Edited by Darth Saigus
  • Like 1

Start at one end and one bullet per mag, work your way to where the bolt stays open. Then back off one and try again. If it stays...great! If not go forward one and try once more. If it stays open again thats where you want to be

I started in the middle, at around setting 5. I have forgotten which is which; the adjustment goes from 1 or zero to 10? Do not remember which is max and which is mim.

FWIW, after about 1000 rounds, depending upon the ammo which usually was surplus Berdan AP, the one-third max gas setting was used. This layed the brass in a neat

pile about 3-5 feet to the right of the rifle. Also you can cut off the gas completely and turn your FN into a straight pull single shot repeater. Nice on some ranges. HB ofCJ (old coot)

FWIW, I also do not remember if there was any accuracy difference between settings. I think the FN gas system was designed to let the rifle work when very dirty.  Max setting throws the brass 10 feet and may be over cycling the rifle.  FWIW.  HB