Aspar arms .300 BLK AK

Aspar arms, an Armenian company that you've probably never heard of, has begun production of a seemingly redundant AK chambered in .300 BLK, which you will probably never get to buy.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2013/10/31/armenian-rifles-chambered-300-blk/

as300.jpg

They also have a boring bolt gun that you will also never be able to buy.

Suppressed the 300blk out in subsonic if flat fucking impressive. I've heard louder 22lr sub sonic with a can. It hits way harder than any pistol round. I guess that is pretty useless.

In an AK it's just a "look what we did" as the gas venting/ by pass is really going to negate a lot of that sound suppression.

• Like 2

Suppressed the 300blk out in subsonic if flat fucking impressive. I've heard louder 22lr sub sonic with a can. It hits way harder than any pistol round. I guess that is pretty useless.

In an AK it's just a "look what we did" as the gas venting/ by pass is really going to negate a lot of that sound suppression.

This is exactly the reason for 300 BLK. Subsonic suppressed performance is incredible. It makes more sense in an AR by using the same BCG and magazines as a 5.56. Cost is not an issue if you reload, in fact it is cheaper than 7.62/39 considering multiple reloading of brass versus steel once and done that most of us shoot out of our AKs. I do agree if you do not want to reload, or don't intend suppressing, then the appeal drops and the AK is the much better way to go.

• Like 2

although I don't claim to be an expert in suppressed AKs, it doesn't seem to me like the gas venting issue is much different than it is with an AR. an AR still vents gas out through the open bolt as the action cycles.

the AK doesn't have to vent gas out through the gas block/gas tube - many Saigas come from the factory without any gas venting in this section of the system. the rest of the gases just blow back into the receiver, similar to an AR.

although I don't claim to be an expert in suppressed AKs, it doesn't seem to me like the gas venting issue is much different than it is with an AR. an AR still vents gas out through the open bolt as the action cycles.

the AK doesn't have to vent gas out through the gas block/gas tube - many Saigas come from the factory without any gas venting in this section of the system. the rest of the gases just blow back into the receiver, similar to an AR.

No. The gasses do not go into the receiver.http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=s46tK5NOQPg

Edited by nsnate02

No. The gasses do not go into the receiver.http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=s46tK5NOQPg

No offense but the animation means nothing aside from showing the mechanical sequence of events.

What actually happens in the AK gas system is that a large amount of waste gases are vented past the piston as soon as it leaves the gas block and enters the gas tube. The gases are vented past the piston and into the "ribbing" of the gas tube that surrounds the gas piston as it travels through it. That's why most AKs have venting holes drilled into either the gas block or the gas tube - these are there to allow the gas to bleed/vent out of the gas system before reaching the receiver.

In other words... The operating pulse of the gas system is spent once the piston leaves the gas block - but the gases are not gone, they have simply lost most of their initial pressure, but there is still enough remaining pressure that the gas has to escape somewhere.

Many Saigas do not come with a drilled gas block or gas tube. This leads to just about all of that gas bleed ending up in the receiver. There are several threads here about owners drilling the vents back into the gas block, or adding a vented gas tube, and noting the end result of much less carbon fouling of the receiver.

Edited by mancat

No offense but the animation means nothing aside from showing the mechanical sequence of events.

What actually happens in the AK gas system is that a large amount of gases are vented past the piston as soon as it leaves the gas block and enters the gas tube. The gases are vented past the piston and into the "ribbing" of the gas tube that surrounds the gas piston as it travels through it. That's why most AKs have venting holes drilled into either the gas block or the gas tube - these are there to allow the gas to bleed/vent out of the gas system before reaching the receiver.

Many Saigas do not come with a drilled gas block or gas tube. This leads to just about all of that gas bleed ending up in the receiver. There are several threads here about owners drilling the vents back into the gas block, or adding a vented gas tube, and noting the end result of much less carbon fouling of the receiver.

It wasn't designed that way and just because some bleeds into the receiver does not make it like an AR in any form. Actually even in a closed gas tube and gas block system the gasses vent at the rear of gas block short of the receiver. 

Just because a sports car and a 4x4 have 4 tires doesn't equate them the same. Wasn't trying to pick at you just clarifying that I don't think the venting is in anyway like an AR IMO.

Either way a suppressed AK still has a very loud action regardless of gas venting or lack thereof.

You are correct they are not the same, but they still bleed out gas into the receiver in one way or another.

You would actually think the AR would make more noise - the gas is at mostly full pressure when it hits the gas key. The AK carrier/bolt just has a shit ton of mass, I would not be surprised if that's where a lot of the noise came from.

Noise is measured in volume, the unit is decibel. The AR vents a much smaller volume of gas. The decibel levels being lower is not a coincidence.

The AK has significantly more mechanical noise. It just lacks that obnoxious buffer spring sound resonating in your cheek bone.

Edited by poolingmyignorance

Strictly anecdotal evidence on how much gas escapes at the gas block on an AK, but have any of you shot an AK from rest with the gas block resting on a backpack or cordura sandbag rest? I have seen several backpacks and sand bags shredded by the gasses exiting around the block. I have seen it with my Saiga, a buddy's 1975GK, and a buddy's WASR. We all learned the hard way do not use something soft to rest it on around the gas block.

With that said, the 300 BLK does not get really quiet until the velocity is around 1050 fps using 208-225 gr. bullets. Unless you cast, there are limited suppliers for those. I use Hornady 208gr AMax's and AA 1650. The very high ballistic coefficient helps tremendously with accuracy over distance despite the low velocity, and literally the only noise you hear is the cycling of the action itself. You simply cannot get an AK this quiet even suppressed. 300 BLK in no way replaces the 7.62x39 even though the ballistics are very similar. In my mind, it is wildcat round developed for a very specific purpose, ie suppression.

Edited by Spacehog