Problems with Saiga 20

I just purchased a Saiga 20 with 22 inch barrel. I cleaned it thoroughly and then tried shooting it using Winchester 2.75" low brass loads called general purpose. They are loaded with 71/2 shot and designed primary for target shooting. Nearly every shot results in a failure to eject and stovepipe... ugh.

I tried setting the the selector to 1 and 2 and the results do not change. Any thoughts on how this can be improved, or should I just send it back for service?

Thanks for any wisdom you might share on this issue.

Thanks for the advice. I fired slugs through it as fast as I could pull the trigger and had no problems with FTF or FTE. Thing can shoot slugs very fast.

I then switched mags and fired some 3 inch rounds. Now these had no problem kicking the bolt back Again no FTF or FTE.

I then tried 2.75 dram 2.75 inch 7.5 shot federal loads. These were in the 2.75 in magazine and still had several FTE with stovepipe.

I shot all on setting 2.

So I guess for a while I'll shoot the hot stuff and see if this gun loosens up a bit.

Thanks again for the help everyone.

My experience with the Saiga 20 is that it is slightly picky about the ammunition it is fed. It isn't a matter of the power of the load, it is a matter of the shape/size of the rim of the shotshells. My Saiga 20 won't run the cheap Winchester's at all. The cheap (Wal-Mart) Federals ran pretty well until I ported the barrel (now they don't run at all). Fiochi shells run just fine.

The extractor on my S20 had some burrs on it that held onto some shells (depending on the shape of the rim). I've polished out the burrs and I hope that will allow the shotgun to run with other brands of shotshells.

Cheers,

Kelly McCoy

San Angelo, TX