Question about stock painting-guitar style

I've got a couple rifle projects on the back burner (long term tinkering) and at some point I saved the picture shown. Anyone have a clue as to the process they used to paint the stock? I've done a lot of searching, youtube has some really interesting stuff on guitar swirl painting but I'm not sure how this gun was done but I like it. I'm leaning toward some practice with painting a solid base color then possibly either using the swirl paint technique with two lighter shades or airbrushing the details on then clear coating. Anyway, while I'm good with an airbrush this is different for me and I know the forum has some talented guys that are involved with music, car, bike stuff that might be able to clue me in before I break out the paint and start playing.

post-1866-0-27969400-1395356605_thumb.jpg

I was also thinking about a dip...

If you just want to practice get yourself a 24"x24" chunk of glass and knock yourself out... Apply acetone and try over and over until you get it down...

I have no artistic talent but I do know a thing or two about laying paint that sticks and looks good. Get your technique down and I can offer more help.

I did a s-12 stock and some 1911 grips that way.

1. Get some high quality curly or tiger maple and make your stock. You can't cut corners here, you have to get good grain wood. I got mine on ebay.

2. Get some fine steel wool, some red scotch brite and green scotch brite to sand it down to an almost glassy feel.

3. Get wood dye in whatever color you like and apply it with a sponge a little at a time. It may take up to 5 coats to get the desired color. I used transparent black for my s-12 stock and green for my 1911 grips.

4. Coat it with clear acrylic or polyurethane. You may need to brush lightly with fine steel wool and coat again.

I'll dig up my pics and post them when I get the chance.