Wood Furniture For 030 Type Saigas

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Picked up these today! I'm kinda stoked. They fit one of the two 040 saiga's I purchased from Alex at Legion USA. The guys there at Legion have always been very personable, shoot you strait, and make

Yes it is factory wood laminate. I have some SVDS stock's which should be available next month, that would be a great addition to the IZ-447 with wood handguards.

For illustrative purposes I've used state-of-the-art technology to show what I want to do to my Saiga

Posted Images

I'm thinking of just buying the AK-style ones that Ironwood sells since they wouldn't need to be dremmeled wider [of course here i'm thinking of hacking up a PSL stock to fit so...]

Might be cheaper to look at the psl stocks first. I use the word "cheaper" with my fingers crossed since PSLs have exploded in price.

I am curious if the psl stock would dampen the recoil any. I shot mine this weekend and got that nice little strip of red just left of my collar bone 50 rounds later. Still far more forgiving than my 91/30s.

Edited by Automatikjack

Y'okay, I was basically given the offer by a family member to buy a stock now as an early Christmas gift.

I need to know ASAP if this stock will fit my Saiga [if i convert the FCG forward]: http://www.ebay.com/itm/AK-47-Wood-stock-For-AK-Maaidi-Egyptian-rifle-Excellent-condition-/111472777842?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19f44b9a72

Edited by JDeko

Welp, all the thumbhole stocks I was watching were bought up in quick relation to each other. If anyone has a link to a wood PSL, SVD, or Maadi style stock that would fit a stamped reciever I'd be very happy as the only one right now I can find is 130 dollars.

So I decided instead of using my imagination, I'd try to fit the proverbial square in the triangle hole since I have both a PSL and the same Saiga as JDeko. The results would certainly be interesting.

It looks like you'd have to cut quite a bit deeper for the stock to sit perfectly, but the saiga reciever is definitely roomier so you won't have to trim the block that gets inserted

20141004_204001.jpg

The downside, of course, is you will still have to do the trigger/fcg mod. 
20141004_204045.jpg

But I think it'll look pretty sexy with something like that. Also, with time it's just going to look even better as that finish starts to wear. I kind of almost want to get another and wear down the finish some to give it a "surplus" feel.

In other news, someone just had a Dragunov wood kit for $450. (I hate seeing that and thinking its cheap)

Overall, it'd look pretty sexy, but would require a little creativity, as well as some massaging to get the stock in deep enough and flush.

Went like a champ, not failures of any sort feeding it Winchester Super-X shells. Fired all 30 like a dream, had everyone in the lanes asking me about it and even the girl in the lane next to me checking me out! 0///w///0

I'm actually pretty infatuated with this furniture currently: http://ironwooddesigns.com/STG47.html but i might just settle for RPK stuff that Ironwood also makes because RPK butt stocks look so much cooler than AK ones. I'd still like a thumbhole stock but DAMN THAT STG47 *drools*.

But yeah, shooting my Saiga was one of the best things I've ever done in my life.

• Like 1

Yeah, I'll admit I'm not uber in love with the stock, and I dunno how an RPK stock would look on there but that forend and that pistol grip are two of the most beautiful things I've ever seen in my whole life!

I really like the way that the RPK stocks look as well. I guess I am similarly torn on what to use. I am just wondering about whether I want to weigh it down a little with wood or go for the maximum scarey/evil effect with all black stuff. I just get this weird feeling that when I see wood, I want to see it on an old battle worn looking gun instead of something new. Then again I do have wood on a brand new PTR91.

Now that I think about it, a black laminate wouldn't look too bad. Check out this guys post, he got a kit from timbersmith and it looks pretty sweet, albeit a little pricey. http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/77401-pic-heavy-new-saiga-12/?p=766167

post-49784-0-36122900-1412668150_thumb.jpg

post-49784-0-19851500-1412668544_thumb.jpg

I love that PTR91, if I ever have the cash I want that exact model to be my third gun [after I get a 1911 for less embarrassing 'home defense' as in "I heard a noise! Could be baddy! *runs to check it out with gun*"]

Do you have any info on how easy it'd be to grind AK-47 guards to fit a 12ga? I'm pretty hot for that STG47 but no custom orders.

I really like how wood looks over tactical black plastic just because black poly makes me think too much of doomsday preppers and "vote from the rooftops!" types. Plus if you REALLY want to freak people out you want it to look as much like an AK as you can get. Which means that Yellow-Orange Tiger Maple furniture is kinda the scariest thing you can put on her.

Granted, even with a black poly SVD stock and BP AK forend i got all sorts of attention and compliments at the range. It was like being the popular person in High School all over again!

A 1911 is on my list as well, but I have a well loved first .45 usp for tenderizing the unwelcome.

I don't have an exact guide or the experience to tell you what the best way is to do it since I'm new to the ak scene, but it looks like a job for a dremel/slow sand to fit.

I have an chinese sks with a heavily glossed bright orange stock. My first thought when I saw it was that it lookes like they made it out of orange chicken.

Just look at the picture I posted. There's like 30 flashlights on that thing, that's gotta be terrifying!

It seems like svd stocks are the cute puppies of the gun world, you can't help but like em.

Everyone nerding out over each others guns is one of my favorite things about ranges. I've shot some amazing guns that way that I prolly wouldnt have otherwise, svd, WWII garand, mauser m1914, etc.

I have a feeling that my s12 is gonna be good completion for the other attention whores in my collection lol.

And I'd not seen the STG47.

Of course maybe in the future, if I do get the STG set-up, I could think of a way to mod an SVD-Style stock to match that look [at least fancy up the grip like the STG one]