Hello all,

I have a few questions regarding the parts for conversions and modification of some magazines for LRBHO.

First:

Looking at the conversion kits at California Shooters Supply at my options for converting my newly purchased IZ-433, and I have some concerns about the trigger guard. I don't really see any information showing if either of the trigger guard options will interfere with the tab up front for the mag well. I would imagine the answer is no, but I have no way to make a real mock up other than to use the pins in the receiver for an approximate of where the trigger guard will end up. The trapezoidal one (Tromix DIY) looks neat and seems to offer more space for gloved fingers, but would get pretty close to my magwell and reduce the overall space for the mag release tab.

Here is the proposed kit. Does anyone see any problems/compatibility issues or am I over analyzing this?

Here's the second project:                                (Note: I am aware that there are magwell magazines, but I got 4 new mags for just under the price of two 10 rounders)

I got a killer deal on some SGM 12 rounders, so I decided I'd sacrifice one in the name of being poor (ironic right?) and see if I can get it to work with my gun like some of the other people in the forums have done. With a dremel/file and some eyeballing it locks in perfectly with very little side play and no wiggling front to back. It basically sits in the same position as my factory mag.

Here's the mags side by side, the angling was a little tricky and ended up involving lots of time with my file.

frontlug.jpg

After enjoying a brief victory, I noticed that these SGM magazines do not have a BHO.
20140913_222048.jpg

So while I made myself a little notch for the BHO lever, I need to figure out a way to get the SGM followers to engage the BHO lever or just replace them outright. Each option has its problems. 

If I were to keep the stock follower, I would have to add a bho tab that would need to physically extend past the top of the follower about 1/4 inch to properly engage the BHO. Some late night garage experiments were promising with small pieces of steel picture hanger hooks, but the looseness of the follower caused the thin piece of steel to move forward and not properly engage the BHO.
I have found several other donor pieces of metal that could possibly serve as tabs to engage the BHO latch listed below: A salvaged PSU heatsink, a CPU heatsink, a bracket for a recessed light and a thin piece of spring steel that is just the right width of the follower and with the perfect curve and pre punched holes that would work for rivets.

Donorparts.jpg

springsteelfit.jpg

I have three options for mounting it onto the follower, one being to glue it, which would work pretty good if I decide to use more polymer, or maybe alright for metal, but ideally I'd either use the small slit I made in the picture below to fold a piece of metal inside and grip the plastic. (it worked very well for the picture hanger, until I snapped it after adjusting the length multiple times.) The last that I am thinking about is using rivets to secure it, and hoping that the channel will provide enough clearance and hopefully that the rest of the mag will not interfere with the attached piece.

The last and easiest would be to just find followers with BHO and drop them in, which I have (so far) had no luck in locating. I noticed that the sgm followers are (as claimed) made from the original design, but have a few changes that vary it from the original. Pleasingly enough the follower from the factory 4 fits right in....except for these two little feet which I am guessing serve as anti tilt. As much as I would love to take the feet off or bend them in to test it. I don't want to risk messing a more expensive/rarer mag to make the common one operational. You can see what I am talking about below.

Rusfollowerinsgmside.jpg

So to wrap things up, while I am scratching my head trying to make heads or tails, has anyone seen or know of a place that sells followers with bho or does anyone have any suggestions that might help with this dilemma?

BHO mags have a channel that the rear of the specific BHO follower rides in. Simply bolting or gluing a piece to the follower will not work. Those SGM mags do not have the channel internally to allow for a BHO follower. Completely disassemble your factory mag and the SGM mag and inspect all parts visually, externally and internally, then you'll see the differences right away.

Not a fan of the tromix trigger guard. Lots of options available none that will interfere with any part of the magwell.

There's no channel either for the stock mags. the follower is beveled in on the sides leaving a notch in the center for the bho. The only part on either mag that has a channel is right below the feed lips and is about 1/4 inch. Other than that the rest of the mag body is flat on the back.

That's good to know that they wont interfere. What's so bad about the tromix? It seems like a good idea to have all of the parts ready on one piece? 

Edited by Automatikjack