The rear iron sights have always been canted to the left, and I've just lived with it because it shot point of aim and use a Venezuelan PK-A sight most times.  I was taking the trigger group out to polish the rails/hammer to smooth out the action, and I noticed the gas tube isn't fully seated and causing my canted sight.  I stuck it in a vice and tried to press it in fully, but it didn't seem to budge, and I didn't want to apply any more pressure.   I know this has had to come up in the past and this place is fully of knowledge.  

What's the right way to fix it?

post-46383-0-42081600-1422666731_thumb.jpg

post-46383-0-87824500-1422666740_thumb.jpg

Edited by BeatTheTunaUp

I hope when you put that in the vice it didn't bend at all, otherwise you may have just fucked your gun for good. The trunnion and rear sight block are separate pieces. The barrel slides into the trunnion and the rear sight block slides onto the barrel. At worst if it bent you may have also bent the barrel (very unlikely) at best if it bent you may have just restricted the gas piston from smoothly reciprocating inside the gas tube and rear sight block. Make sure it didn't bend at all and test to make sure. Before you do any work on a gun, make sure you understand what each part is. It may not be a big issue but not knowing and proceeding anyways can cause big problem, not the smallest of which is turning your AK into a certified hand grenade next time you go to fire it. 

Here is an exploded diagram so you can begin to understand your rifle a little better:

post-38885-0-26894500-1422671390_thumb.jpg

Edited by VR6Shooter

Well I admit I'm a tard, but I try to never go full retard. I only put the same pressure you would apply to hold it while working on it. Y'all scared me enough to throw the bolt in and check though. It slides in/out smoothly. That's what she said. I'll just continue to ignore it as usual. Thanks for the info.

• Like 1

You can remove the rear sight-leaf and do a bit of minor filing on one of the lugs to shift it in the direction that it needs to go.

It's only a $10.00 part, if you happen to ruin it.

Did that on my x39 Saiga.

In my case the rear-sight "resting area" (on the front trunnion) appeared to have been machined wrong or the slots for the rear sight lugs were causing it to sit crooked.

"Lugs" upper right in pick.

post-38865-0-68662700-1422679790.jpg

Edited by Sim_Player