Photo
- - - - -

Comparison- forearms on the Saiga/VEPR/Catamount????

Fury

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 InTTruder

InTTruder

• Contributor
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 06:40 PM

Particularly with regards to the gas tube, forearm furniture, etc.

I don't have side-by-side guns, but I did compare the fit of a Saiga rail system to Catamount.  The Catamount is shorter (iirc) between the receiver and the gas block.  I don't have a VEPR handy.  Have any of you creative smiths looked at this crosswise?  The standard AK systems (e.g.: Midwest Industries) are too short between the trunnion and front plate also.  And it goes without saying, the 12g barrel doesn't drop into the after-market HG too well.

I'm also leery of too much rail/real estate.  Who needs a fully segmented quad rail on a suppressive-fire weapon?

PS- the Chaos system looks well-designed, but as of yet they only provide it in the Saiga and VEPR configurations.  It'd be interesting to have dimensional lists.

#2 InTTruder

InTTruder

• Contributor
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 07:40 AM

CSS makes a VERY nice rail specifically for the Catamount.  I have it on mine.  

12030500_1297923986889381_55879623303276

You are correct about spacing, and the tube diameters (barrel and gas) make the yoke inside something like the MI HG a real challenge to modify.  I consider the S/A shotgun not an area fire weapon per se.  I have the Chaos sights, and the initial shoots fired over the old OEM sights leads me to believe that the F1 is capable of reasonable shotgun accuracy.  it is not a precision rifle, however.

12814744_1290742544274192_70794224783020

So-
The real estate is like having a turbocharger- there when you need it, and dormant when not.  The CSS rail is not a bulky cruciform quad rail, but rather a HG-shaped "sleeve" that slides over the barrel similar in proportion to the OEM HG.

I'll get some dimensions when I get it back.  It's having final adjustments made following the conversion above.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fury

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users