Saiga-12 gets another kill

I went out deer hunting this morning. There seemed to be a lot of tracks, beds, and Turkey, but no deer. On my way out of the field I noticed about 30 geese in a separate field behind my parents house and decided to try out my snow-ninja skills. I drove down to their house, popped my mag open and installed my waterfowl plug, grabbed a few goose-loads and crept out into the field. There was ZERO cover, and I was wearing green camouflage (again, the field was covered in about 6" of snow), so this was a scenario with a LOT of wishful thinking. I got about 50 yards from the group and about 10 of them spotted me and flew off. I laid in the snow for a couple minutes and started creeping up slower. After another 20 yards or so of crawling it appeared that the rest of the group spotted me as well, so I stood up and noticed a single head still swiveling around. I figured it would fly off as well, so I drew a sight on him and started inching up hoping I could get close enough to take a shot. I was JUST close enough to feel comfortable taking the shot and it spotted me, turned and tried taking off. I took the shot and must have only gotten it with a couple pellets in a non-vital area. It tried taking off but looked like a kid running with a kite... it would take a few steps, get about 2 feet off the ground then crash back down. 

I don't consider myself "out of shape", but chasing a goose through a snow-covered, corn stubble field, with a heavy shotgun wore me out. It probably went close to 200 yards before I could catch up and get close enough to take another shot. 

It made me EARN the kill for sure. I gave an assist a few weeks ago to get 2 geese with my dad and cousin, so this is MY first official kill. 

20151123_104622_zpsnypfvlqp.jpg

• Like 6