the JWysenski762 hi-cap mag mod

well this is what i did and it should be pretty similar to what JW did. I dont have any fancy tools i cut the metal piece from a steel bracket with a hacksaw and shaped it with a large c-clamp, pliars, a hammer and 2 metal files.

after you file the catch on the back of the mag we are left with this problem

mod6.JPG

this is what the peice looks like after its cut and shaped...i decided on this shape to create more surface area for the jb weld

mod1.JPG

i also filed the sides to an edge

mod2.JPG

then i applied the peice to the mag and bonded with JB Weld stick $4.29 at Auto Zone, even cheaper at wal mart.

mod3.JPG

it claims to cure in 1hr i waited 2 then filed away all the access and made sure all the edges were off and the top of the new peice was level.

mod4.JPG

then i re finished the entire mag

mod5.JPG

and now it matches the OE Mag....hand cycled 90 rds flawlessly

mod7.JPG

i would like to thank JW for his most likly alcohol induced idea now with a little free time my 6.00 AK Mags work in my siaga

Edited by Robgrandam

wow! you certinly did a much beter job on your mag than i did!

i know ive been saying il post a oic for the last month, but tonight il actuly do it. il put up some pics of the model stock i made while i was home. (i built several poorly made stocks out of cheap pine to see what i like, then i will make one out of wallnut) my artist friend asked if he could carve/draw somthing on my stock, and scince im only using it for testing, i said what the hell. hes drawing the grim reaper pointing in the direction of the reciver, it looks prety sweet so far!

the reason i moded my mag is that i live in a dorm. here at VT, we are only alowed to have firearms on campus streets, in our cars, as we are driving them to or from the police station, where we can legaly store them. so i have to do any work on my rifel at the primitive outdoor range on a broken picnic table. but, we are alowed to take parts off a firearm (not the reciver) and keep those in our dorms. so its just more convienent for me to mod the mags.

i was also thinking of maybe using a beer cap as the actual feed ramp.... i like the theam :super: !

battle rifel, what school do you go to?

im trying to decide whather i should do the full conversion or not. im working on some wooden stocks with a pg on them and im having a few doubts on if they wil be stong enough. the pg seems like it would snap right off on the one i made out of pine, which is unacceptable for me. also i have long arms so i would need a longer stock than if i just did the converson, which moves the pg a few inches forward. i also would like to do somthing about the trigger pull and the conversion seems like a good way to go. im a prety damn good carpenter, i built 3 sucessful boats out of wood/ fiberglass, but i havent done a lot of work with metal. i lack some of the tools needed, like a... whats the name, its used for fine measurements. and i have no taps or dies. im just woried that im going to put a hole in the wrong place and have a $200 club.

Battlerifle...a converstion would cost some srill for me...this was a $4.49 jew mod...on top of that i relly dont want a pistol grip conversion i like the lenght of the siaga stock and i would prefer to keep it that way...i will vent the fore stock slap on a bi-pod and cycle a 75rd drum with iron sights and be done.

i just realized you added the metal on the outside of the mag! i dontknow why i dint think of that (perhaps because it was an alcaholl induced idea. i added a pic of me when i thought of the mod :super: )! and everything cycles properly on yours? if so thats how im doing my next ones.

Edited by JWysenski762
im working on some wooden stocks with a pg on them and im having a few doubts on if they wil be stong enough. the pg seems like it would snap right off on the one i made out of pine, which is unacceptable for me.

im a prety damn good carpenter, i built 3 sucessful boats out of wood/ fiberglass, but i havent done a lot of work with metal. i lack some of the tools needed, like a... whats the name, its used for fine measurements. and i have no taps or dies. im just woried that im going to put a hole in the wrong place and have a $200 club.

I built a homemade p-grip wood stock for a Ruger 10-22. That was my first gunsmithing type project and I definitely was too worried about things snapping off. Of course I used maple wood. I'd recommend a good hardwood if you're doing the work yourself anyway. I have big hands and my 10-22 grip shows it. Perhaps that'll solve your fears of breakage. Another idea is try to find positions of the stock in relation to the grain of the wood that would provide maximum strength where you need it in the grip.

I am quite impressed that you have built 3 successful boats. I have built two thus far unsuccessful ones (both on a mid high school level, I'm looking to try again with an engineering degree under my belt.) Though my boats have yet to float, I have successfully converted three Saigas and built an AMD from a kit on a OOW receiver.

Oh, and it's a caliper used for fine measurements, usually a digital or dial caliper. Or a rotational micrometer, even more precise but far slower and more limited in its applications. I never needed one to convert a Saiga.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for posting this. It is a unique option.

I have been lurking for quite a while, and getting the info I could from this site. I picked up my 7.62 Saiga today.

I have been thinking long and hard about the rifle conversion. I am sure I could do the conversion of the rifle, but I never felt totally comfortable with the idea. I mean, gluing a piece of pipe into the chamber, or even soldering, or screwing it.....

After seeing this, I realized that I would prefer to (and am more comfortable with) alter several of my AK mags for my Saiga, than to alter the rifle itself. I figure I will solder the magazine mod on a few mags, then I still have the option of modding the rifle later, and undoing the mag mod, if I change my mind. I can cut several of the pieces at once, install some on mags, using different techniques (solder, epoxy, JB Weld, etc)..., then test at the range. If it goes well, I have more pieces ready. If not, no loss other than a little time.

I am betting that sooner or later, there will be 30 round mags for reasonable prices. I plan to accumulate a few Saiga mags here and there a couple at a time. Something about ****** rigging this nice new rifle just doesn't set well with me.

Plus, in a post SHTF situation, a reclamation of Constitutional liberty, or just good old fashioned civil unrest, I don't want to have the possibility of a mechanical failure hanging over my head. Murphy's law you know.

If I mod a few mags, and one fails, I grab another and stay in the fight. If I mod the rifle and the mod fails, I am out of business and SOL.

Doing some mags now, allows me time to consider it longer. The mags are cheaper and if there are any drawbacks, easily replaced. The rifle is a different story.

Everyone has their own comfort level, and some people like the fun of making such a mod to their rifle. YMMV