High Capacity Mags

So, I have this beautiful new Saiga 7.62x39. Fantastic gun, and it came with a surefire 30 round mag. What need I do in order to use it without being overrun by storm troopers? I am fairly up to speed on needing a 10 part conversion prior to using a pistol grip....what about the mag only?

Thanks

Bill

Edited by billindenver

The hi-cap mag does the same thing as the PG does, as far as 922r: It makes you need 10 or less foreign parts in the rifle. Seeing as how the SureFire mags are US made (right?), all you need is one more part for compliance (given that you didn't, say, put a foreign muzzle device on it). Get a set of US made handguards (1 part) or a US made gas piston (1 part) and you're set.

The hi-cap mag does the same thing as the PG does, as far as 922r: It makes you need 10 or less foreign parts in the rifle. Seeing as how the SureFire mags are US made (right?), all you need is one more part for compliance (given that you didn't, say, put a foreign muzzle device on it). Get a set of US made handguards (1 part) or a US made gas piston (1 part) and you're set.

So, if I get one more american part I need nothing else, even if I put a PG on it? An ACE folder for example?

So, if I get one more american part I need nothing else, even if I put a PG on it? An ACE folder for example?

If your x39 is the same way it came from the factory, besides the US made hi-caps, then yes, all you need is 1 more US part, which the Ace stock would be. If you do add a PG, you're gonna have to do the conversion anyway with a new FCG, get the G2 from Tapco, which would be 3 parts. If you want an Ace folder, I don't see how you could comfortably shoot the rifle without adding the PG anyway, so I'd just go ahead and do the full conversion.

Edited by 22_Shooter

post-7063-1199906974_thumb.jpgpost-7063-1199906985_thumb.jpgHere's what I did:

7.62 x 39, the 'easy' solution to 30 rd.:

1) Bolt on ACE Folding Stock & Pistol Grip ($185 - but I got for $142 by a mistake from a new girl there)

2) Just use any USA made Mag - I Use the Master Molder & slight mod w/ a pocket knife on the REAR Catch.

LEGAL EAGLE (In MOST States - ck local laws on PG and or Hi-cap.)

Stock Saiga = 14 'countable' parts.

Add 1 more for a PG = 15 'countable' parts.

Now add an ALL US made mag. = 3 US parts (make sure the mag. is All US, Including the Body)

Then bolt on the ACE folder/PG = 2 US parts

So 15 - 5 = 10 Foriegn 'countable' parts!

Edited by BullShark012
post-7063-1199906974_thumb.jpgpost-7063-1199906985_thumb.jpgHere's what I did:

7.62 x 39, the 'easy' solution to 30 rd.:

1) Bolt on ACE Folding Stock & Pistol Grip ($185 - but I got for $142 by a mistake from a new girl there)

2) Just use any USA made Mag - I Use the Master Molder & slight mod w/ a pocket knife on the REAR Catch.

LEGAL EAGLE (In MOST States - ck local laws on PG and or Hi-cap.)

Stock Saiga = 14 'countable' parts.

Add 1 more for a PG = 15 'countable' parts.

Now add an ALL US made mag. = 3 US parts (make sure the mag. is All US, Including the Body)

Then bolt on the ACE folder/PG = 2 US parts

So 15 - 5 = 10 Foriegn 'countable' parts!

Can you give us a review on how she feels at the range? How is the length of pull? Does it feel natural with that set up?

there's two reasons why I chose not to go the direction bullshark did...

1. expense. that stock alone cost more than my regular pg conversion, and mill. surp high caps can be had for $12-15 ea.

2. balance. I origonally didn't want to convert my x39, but felt the rifle was front heavy. By doing the PG/G2 conversion, you move the position of your strong hand (right for me) forward.....much closer to the COG (center of gravity) which is at the forward edge of the mag well. This makes your right hand (on the PG) and your left hand (at the rear end of the fore grip) close to equi-distance from the COG, which make the rifle feel much more "handi" ..... just as Mr. K origonally designed it.

My advice to some one who want's an AKM, but doesn't want to do the Saiga conversion, is to by an AKM. Nice ones, NIB can be had for not much more than the Saiga + conversion cost. (i.e. Lancaster)

Then again, you could just enjoy the rifle in it's sporter config. with 10 round stock mags, and keep you Sure Fires loaded up in your sock drawer for "special circumstances", in which case, 922R minutia is going to be the last of your concerns.

After probing knowledge level of LEO aquaintances and relations, I doubt any LEO other than a bonified ATF guy is going to have any clue about 922R requirements. If High Caps are legal in your state, your run of the mill LEOs are going to assume any rifle that you can slap a high cap in is legal.

(I'm serious, one state police detective didn't even know that you had to get a special class FFL and pay tax stamp fees to posses a full auto. He either assumed it was legal, or that I was a flagrant law breaker, as he asked me how my converted x39 handled in full auto)

Edited by ssn vet

There's 2 reasons I Chose to convert the way I did:

1. Simplicity. With parts at hand it took me 5 minutes to complete. (not the slotting)

2. Reversability. Should I need to, or just want to, I can revert back to 'stock' condition in 5 minutes.

I'm not a gunsmith - but I love cool guns. It's not the answer for everyone I agree....for me, I love it.

Added: Bill, yes the gun feels very natural, actually much better than w/ the std. buttstock. Having the PG brings your right elbow down close against the body - much more comfortable. The length of pull is about an inch less than orig. setup. I ordered the 13" LOP from ACE, not knowing which to get (they had 12,13 & 14). I got the 1" buttpad in case I ordered too small. If I had my choice again, I'd get the 14" LOP w/ 1/2" pad, but 1" pad ok too.

Plus - Folder can be set for L or R fold - I like Left fold so I can fire with it Folded!

And: ssn vet, your point about COG is true, but with my scope & mount detatched ( I have the Quick Detach) I can pick it up and fire one-handed w/ no prob. With the scope on (at the range mostly) it is a bit top heavy w/ full 30 rd. mag.

Edited by BullShark012