Anybody here have one?  What's your thoughts overall?  What magazines does it use?  In the search option, it appeared most people here weren't very receptive of a 6.5 in an AK platform.  But, for some reason I keep turning back to this round, partially because Wolf makes some cheap ammo for it, but also because it appears to out perform 7.62x39 in a lot of ways and I wouldn't mind making this a deer rifle for up to 300 yards.  I also really love the look of a VEPR.  Yeah, I can get an AR in this caliber, but I really don't want to.  I may also look at the Howa Mini-action as well.  The CZ 527 American is beautiful and I would feel guilty lugging it through the Maine woods with me.  The others, not so much.  Thanks.

I think enough people came to a few conclusions:

1) It sucks to have a model with no parts support or magazines

2) A round like that is for precision work. Ak variants aren't garbage, but they just aren't going to be shooting up to the inherent capability of the cartridge

2.5) 308 versions, or Zastava equivalents shoot as well as the rifle can manage and are a lot more common and affordable.

3) A $1700+ AK isn't going to shoot as well as an AR in this caliber that could be built for around a thousand and has none of the above limitations.

AK people tend to be traditionalists who won't support much change or improvement to the platform. At least not enough of us to make development commercially viable for reasonably priced stuff.

A lot of people would post "Cool Idea" "Want'... but not enough would put down the cash.

• Like 1

I think enough people came to a few conclusions:

1) It sucks to have a model with no parts support or magazines

2) A round like that is for precision work. Ak variants aren't garbage, but they just aren't going to be shooting up to the inherent capability of the cartridge

2.5) 308 versions, or Zastava equivalents shoot as well as the rifle can manage and are a lot more common and affordable.

3) A $1700+ AK isn't going to shoot as well as an AR in this caliber that could be built for around a thousand and has none of the above limitations.

AK people tend to be traditionalists who won't support much change or improvement to the platform. At least not enough of us to make development commercially viable for reasonably priced stuff.

A lot of people would post "Cool Idea" "Want'... but not enough would put down the cash.

We are working on the magazines issue... But I totally agree on the rest.

So often I get calls from people wanting an opinion on AKs in .308 or .30-06 and they really want to be told they are super accurate.. Simply put the rifles have limitations.

The AK is a decent enough rifle but changing the chambering does not make it more accurate.. Saigas and Veprs produce about 2-4 inch groupings at 100 yards, a few may do better but normally it is 2-4 inch groupings at 100 yards..

Edited by csspecs
  • Like 1

Those points are all legitimate. I figured that mags would be commercially available if a rifle was produced, not a smart move marketing wise. Maybe I’ll turn my attention to the AR or Mini-action. If there isn’t much support for the rifle, it’ll just become an anomoly that may be worth something down the road, or a paperweight. Thanks for the info.