• 2 months later...

or file the latch I spose.

Does anyone know it it take standard saiga mags? or is it some new vepr mag? If it takes standard Saiga mags then it should just require a BG and filing the latch.

Anyone know if they have a round or flat trunion?

Standard Saiga mags don't require a bullet guide. They have a feed lip built into the front of them.

I think there was a lengthy thread over on the AKFiles about using standard AK mags in the Pioneer and Super.

Standard Saiga mags don't require a bullet guide. They have a feed lip built into the front of them.

I think there was a lengthy thread over on the AKFiles about using standard AK mags in the Pioneer and Super.

Yup. My point is that if the Pioneer takes standard Saiga mags, then the dimensions of the rifle's magwell, etc are the same as a regular Saiga rifle, and therefore it should be able to be converted to standard AK mags with only the addition of a bg and filing of the mag catch.

Thanks for the lead on that thread. I'll go search for it later tonight.

Gotcha.

I searched a little bit and from the handful of threads I came across in the Vepr forum and AKFiles, no definitive answer about the conversion. But I didn't dig deep.

Seems alot went to ban states where the use of standard capacity OG AK mags is a no no.