FN PS90 SBR

I just bought a new FN PS90. I'm going to talk to Tony about making it a 10.7in SBR like the original. So if you see this, Tony, before I get you, "What do you think?" Do you think the gas system would need modified? Have you ever shot one of these? If anyone else knows about this please step in. Thanks, MikeD

Just my personal opinion, but when it comes to barrel work (cutting and/or threading them) I always use a local smith, machine shop or do it myself. It's usually no big deal if you only bring in the barrel to a machine shop. If you figure in saving shipping costs, it almost always pays to go local for simple work like this.

Now if you need other work done in addition to the barrel, you don't know a local shop or there is no good local source... well then... ship away...

Edited by RDSWriter
Just my personal opinion, but when it comes to barrel work (cutting and/or threading them) I always use a local smith, machine shop or do it myself. It's usually no big deal if you only bring in the barrel to a machine shop. If you figure in saving shipping costs, it almost always pays to go local for simple work like this.

Now if you need other work done in addition to the barrel, you don't know a local shop or there is no good local source... well then... ship away...

There is more to it than that. The thing is that It would be a NFA item when he was done. All rifles with a barrel shorter than 16in that has a stock requires a $200 tax stamp. Tony would have to file a form with the gov to make it a registered SBR before he could do the work or at least put the barrel back on. Also it might need the gas system modified for the shorter barrel, but I don't know.

There is more to it than that. The thing is that It would be a NFA item when he was done. All rifles with a barrel shorter than 16in that has a stock requires a $200 tax stamp. Tony would have to file a form with the gov to make it a registered SBR before he could do the work or at least put the barrel back on. Also it might need the gas system modified for the shorter barrel, but I don't know.

The fn p90 has no gas system it is a straght blow back system like a 10/22 so you may have to replace the spring. look in to gem-tech they have the proper speiifications for the barrel threads as they make a suppresor for that gun

PS what color is your plastic on the gun?

thank you for your time

The fn p90 has no gas system it is a straght blow back system like a 10/22 so you may have to replace the spring. look in to gem-tech they have the proper speiifications for the barrel threads as they make a suppresor for that gun

PS what color is your plastic on the gun?

thank you for your time

Thanks for the info, I haven't looked into the mechanics of the weapon yet. The color is green but I'm going to dye it black. It is a pretty easy process with factory quality results.

A hacksaw and a Brownells barrel squarer and crown cutter/lapper is my method.

I just bought a new FN PS90. I'm going to talk to Tony about making it a 10.7in SBR like the original. So if you see this, Tony, before I get you, "What do you think?" Do you think the gas system would need modified? Have you ever shot one of these? If anyone else knows about this please step in. Thanks, MikeD

These are pretty interesting. I like that they eject shells downward, and you can get hi-caps now.

I am not familiar with the bullet, but a few people have noted that the round's best attributes are in its AP capacity.

These are pretty interesting. I like that they eject shells downward, and you can get hi-caps now.

I was at my shooting clubs range about two weeks ago and saw a member there putting away a PS-90 so I went up and started a conversion.

We talked for a few minutes and I even got to hold it.

And all I can say is that it's a really COOL rifle and I want one.:up:

He's a I.C.E. agent and told me that he had got the chance to shoot the real thing. A full auto P-90......He said the only down side to the P-90 / PS-90 is the cost of the ammo and that if your shooting it with a short sleeve shirt on expect to get a hot spent casing or two down the sleeve.

He said if he would have had more ammo he would have let me shoot it but he was all out.:(

But I did get his business card and a rain check. :super:

If I didn't need to spend my tax return on a newer car I would be putting one order and filing out the proper paper work with the BATFE to SBR it.

Edited by Tiny

I assumed since the buyer referred to SBR... folks would automatically assume that he was going to do it the legal way and pay the NFA tax. After all, how many people refer to making an SBR when talking about illegally cutting the overall barrel length?

FYI - Tony would not have to file the NFA tax. The owner should do that on a Form 1 to shorten the wait time for registration in his name. If he were to send it to Tony, Tony would have to Form 1 it, then (correct me if I'm wrong on the next part), but I believe that Tony would have to Form 3 it to a local SOT holder in the owner's state and then the local SOT would Form 4 it to the buyer and probably charge another fee. So you wind up with wait times and fees associated with a Form 1 --> Form 3 -> Form 4.

But if the buyer completes the Form 1, then there's no need for a Form 3 or Form 4. Since the barrel is the only part that needs to be shipped if you're going to cut it... you don't need to file a Form 5 and wait some more. Just remove the barrel and ship - or cut locally - or just buy the barrel after Form 1 approval.

You're pretty close there. But when a C2 manufacturer files for a newly manufactured NFA item, it goes on an Form 2, not a Form 1. Then transfers on a Form 3 to the C2/C3 in the customer's state. Then a Form 4 to the individual. The only lengthy wait times are on the Form 4 and Form 1. The F2's and F3's smoke through the system in 1-2 days. So there really wouldn't be much time savings going with a Form 1.

Thanks for the clarification Tony. If forgot about the Form 2.. it's been a few years since I bought any NFA items. So really, the only advantage is that you don't have to pay the local SOT/ClassIII any fees by filing a Form 1 youself.

Edited by RDSWriter
Save yourself a few grand and buy the AR15 upper that accepts FNP90 magazines. I beleive they are selling for $750. It should be much easier to SBR.

Do you have a link. I would like to see one of these. I curious how the mag would work or go in the gun.