I just bought a A3 stock for MP5 and it's in rough shape. I called my local refinishing place (Cogan Custom) but they moved to Alabama! Now if I want them to take a look at it, I'd have to ship it there. The guy on the phone also wanted to know if the steel can be separated from the plastic on that model. I've been told it's a "second generation" stock.

Can the plastic come off the steel? Who has experience refinishing these? Obviously Cogan Custom doesn't have much experience with these stocks for him to ask me that question. I don't want to ship it to Alabama to have him tell me that they can't do anything with it.

It's a BW5 FSA. Not a bad shootin' gun. If you want a gun to put away in the safe to collect value, go with the real HK. If you want a gun that you can enjoy shooting and modifying, get a clone. If you ever want to SBR the gun, the clone's fake can comes off and there's a three-lug underneath. And remember, all the parts are interchangable with the real HK so if you SBR it, the import parts requirement is irrelevant. So you can change out all the innards with German parts.

Before you buy, I recommend reading everything at www.hkpro.com. Especially the message boards.