I have great news!

I saved a bunch of money on my .308 by purchasing my Saiga 21" .308 instead of an M1!!!

And omg is this thing fun to shoot. I just HAD to spit 20 rounds down range as soon as I bought it!

I am already looking forward to my next Saiga. Which I think will be a 7.62x39 16".

Sounds to me like SOMEONE drank the KOOLAID!!! :devil::up: :up:

:smoke:

O yea! And this Kool-Aid didn't taste like *@ for a change ;)

O yea another thing. I read already where you can trim the follower by about a quarter inch and add another 2 rounds to the 8 round mag. Is that exactly a quarter inch off the follower? Does anyone have pictures?

Thanks!

Paul

Sounds to me like SOMEONE drank the KOOLAID!!! :devil::up: :up:

:smoke:

O yea! And this Kool-Aid didn't taste like *@ for a change ;)

O yea another thing. I read already where you can trim the follower by about a quarter inch and add another 2 rounds to the 8 round mag. Is that exactly a quarter inch off the follower? Does anyone have pictures?

Thanks!

Paul

I think it is more than a 1/4 inch(at least it was on my mags). You will see a lip on the side of the follower which slides and guides the follower within the mag body. The mag body has cut for this. The cut is almost in the middle of the mag. DO NOT TRIM TOO MUCH OF THE FOLLOWER OR THE MAG MAY NOT WORK! :killer: You need to leave a little bit of this lip. I left about 1/4 of this guide lip on the follower. What I did when I converted my mag was grind then try. I took maybe 1/4 off the bottom of the follower then I tryed it. Again just be cafeful not to grind or cut or sand or whatever, too much of the follower. Some people say they need to trim the mag spring. I just left my spring alone. I only modified the follower and the guide prongs plate. The prongs plate or what ever is at the bottom of the mag and has the two prongs on it the stick up. I took maybe 1/2 inch of both of the prongs to match my shortened follower. If you don't grind the prong plate you with not get the mag to work. I could't get mine to work until I cut the 2 prong down I would say grind or saw in 1/8 inch measurements. Saw or grind or sand, an 1/8 then see if you can load 10 rds. If the 10rd won't fit saw another 1/8 and so forth. The followers may be different from year to year. I mean you never know. I have 2 EAA mags and 2 RAA mags they look the same but you never know.

You saved money on your car insurance by switching to gayco?? kidding but i had too.

Where have you been all this time? I been shouting this from the roof tops about how great the saiga's are. I picked up my first 308/16" onthe way to my hunting camp.(deer season) After hunting we test fired it and it was awesome to shoot. I had the same feeling back in the early 80's when i shot my very first chinese sks WOW!!!!! Now I was never fond of the .223rem round nor the expensive black rifles but after shooting the 308 saiga it was time to get a saiga in .223rem also. Brother you have to try one of these too!!!! I have some extra cash right now and can afford a SA M1A but why waste the extra $$. So with the extra $$ you saved get yourself a saiga in 308 with a 16" barrel and a Saiga in .223rem with a 16" barrel, in 7,62x39 too and a saiga shotgun too and your just hitting the price of a M1a? Yup you saved we all did plus we bought more toys for less too and i didn't switch to you know who......

If you want the ultimate functioning saiga lube it up with moly...... :killer:

HINT; Get the saiga's you want know before the prices go any higher too i just have that gut feeling once they catch on they may go higher. "demand increases"

Edited by Unknown Poster
I think it is more than a 1/4 inch(at least it was on my mags). You will see a lip on the side of the follower which slides and guides the follower within the mag body. The mag body has cut for this. The cut is almost in the middle of the mag. DO NOT TRIM TOO MUCH OF THE FOLLOWER OR THE MAG MAY NOT WORK! :killer: You need to leave a little bit of this lip. I left about 1/4 of this guide lip on the follower. What I did when I converted my mag was grind then try. I took maybe 1/4 off the bottom of the follower then I tryed it. Again just be cafeful not to grind or cut or sand or whatever, too much of the follower. Some people say they need to trim the mag spring. I just left my spring alone. I only modified the follower and the guide prongs plate. The prongs plate or what ever is at the bottom of the mag and has the two prongs on it the stick up. I took maybe 1/2 inch of both of the prongs to match my shortened follower. If you don't grind the prong plate you with not get the mag to work. I could't get mine to work until I cut the 2 prong down I would say grind or saw in 1/8 inch measurements. Saw or grind or sand, an 1/8 then see if you can load 10 rds. If the 10rd won't fit saw another 1/8 and so forth. The followers may be different from year to year. I mean you never know. I have 2 EAA mags and 2 RAA mags they look the same but you never know.
Thanks your description makes good sense. I had taken the mag apart already and verified where it appeared the cuts were needed, and re-verified with your description here. I am going to take the 1/8th increment route like your describe. I am also going to get two more mags before attempted to modify one :). Then if that is successful I will modify them all.

THanks!

Paul

You saved money on your car insurance by switching to gayco?? kidding but i had too.

So with the extra $$ you saved get yourself a saiga in 308 with a 16" barrel and a Saiga in .223rem with a 16" barrel, in 7,62x39 too and a saiga shotgun too and your just hitting the price of a M1a? Yup you saved we all did plus we bought more toys for less too and i didn't switch to you know who......

If you want the ultimate functioning saiga lube it up with moly...... :killer:

HINT; Get the saiga's you want know before the prices go any higher too i just have that gut feeling once they catch on they may go higher. "demand increases"

More guns and more :super::killer::killer::killer:

I think I have decided that my next Saiga will be the 16" 7.62x39. Then I will modify some 30 round mags for that :):D

I am looking for some decent moly now. Will be looking around at the gun show tomorrow.

You press the button in the middle of the mag base plate, then just gently slide the base plate off.

Be sure and hold your finger tightly over the opening and slide the floorplate out from under it. Then with the spring controlled by your hand, pull it out very quickly. Those springs can come flyin out pretty quick! You should see what a 8rd S-12 spring looks like bouncing off the wall across the room! :lolol:

I have two eaa mags, both converted to ten rnds. I had one with the gun and bought one later,new in wrapper. The newer one I had to cut the spring along with the follower and base posts. The first one's spring was fine. I also found it helpful, in finding how much to cut off the follower, to turn the mag upside down(unassymbled) and load ten rnds into it and put the follower inplace. Both my followers are cut to where the little guide tabs on the sides are about 1/4" long. The springs are about 14" at the longest point. The base posts are cut to 7/8" including the bottom ogf that plate( not the locking plate) I hope this helps. and debur all cuts and slightly chamfer or bevel the inside of the follower cuts to help the spring feed. To allow for tolerances in manufacturing, I would get close to these measurements without going over and test fit for function. If your spring is too long. 10rnds will fit, but you won't be able to load a full mag with the bolt closed or it may not want to let the bolt strip off the first round. try it for functionality before you change each individual thing. that way you don't get finnished with the project and it doesn't work and you don't know which step was wrong. good luck.