.308 for coyotes?

How many of you .308 fans would opt for a .223 for coyotes?

I'm not interested in the fur, just getting some of the population down.

I'm not recoil sensitive, but I've heard that it's easier to get back on target with the .223 than the .308, for follow up shots. That might make sense, but I've never fired an auto loader in either caliber, so I don't have any practical experience to compare one to the other.

Which caliber would you choose?

Your opinions and experience is appreciated.

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

Guest FULL_AUTO_990

i would choose the biggest caliber possible. if you bought a berret 50cal. bolt action you could rip that coyote right in half, if he was behind a tree, you could rip him in half and the tree at the same time. i would choose the 308 thoe. but i would buy some good bipods, muzzle brake, recoil pad, to solve the recoil problem that you have, and a scope. so you can just put some food out there for the coyotes, pick a spot, lay down and wait , and then KA FUCKING POW!!!! 6inch hole exit wound on the mother fucker!! 308 is the way.

Bowhunter57, an AR-15 in .223 feels almost like a .22 rimfire. My mother has shot mine, and that is saying something. Im thinking the .308 isnt too much either, but maybe someone is in the forum that has one in 308 and can tell you. I would choose according to what terrian you are shooting them on. fields? out west there? use a 308. in my neck of the woods? 100-200 yards about in the woods tops? i would use a 223. If you are just getting them out of your area? I would bait them with something, and get a couple of guys with shotguns at night, and just get a bunch at once and be done with it. that is illegal in a lot of places though, better ask the game warden about hunting coyotes. I was under the impression there were different laws for taking them, myself, than say like deer and other common game animals. maybe you can tell me ?

• 2 weeks later...

.308 or .223 , lets see .223 low recoil good up to 300 meters any soft point will

do a good job in any coyote . 308 mid recoil in semi auto, good up to 500 meters

on saiga , after saiga was tune up , well cost of ammo is the diferance

but .308 goes all purpose from pigs , deer , coyotes . yes the recoil on the .308 is

heavier than the .223 , but still is not like a magnun, on semi autos the recoil

is lot less than a bolt or single shot . if it will be my only rifle , I will go for the

.308 and tune it up , if not I will get the .223 and a .308, remenber all rifles

are made for diferent purposes . But the .308 will take care of must game

on the lower 48 states

and then KA FUCKING POW!!!! 6inch hole exit wound on the mother fucker!! 308 is the way.

fullauto... you really need to get laid

bowhunter - i would use my .308 for coyotes. the recol isnt bad, and you wont really get off target to much when firing.

I would use a 5 round mag in an AR in 223....there is NO recoil, and i can prolly put all five into different animals at 200 yards in seconds...you need the 7.62 saiga and the 12 gauge saigas if you are a gun guy AFTER that. BUY the AR dude. look into a 20" barrel Eagle Arms. get a good scope for it and a biopd, and there wont be a coyote for miles next week :) then you can shoot the saigas all you want....just my opinion, but Im just reinforcing what I said before....im voting for the AR in 223 for your needs TWICE....if you need to be close in and blast through vegetation, get a saiga 7.62x39mm. its really your call. an AR is a very nice weapon to take out for the weekend with the boys, OR to bring to a range and bet a dollar a shot on. PLUS you can just blaze away and not really go off target? come on. if you are a good shooter, you will like that gun a LOT I think, not just for coyote.

a .308 would be good if you are out to get them all, are at long ranges, or through cover at a decent distance. otherwise you could get by with a 7.62. but coyote i doubt you even NEED that big of a bullet for. Im seeing another memeber saiga69 saying that coyote are limited to 243 or something. guess it depends on the cover you have to hunt them in, the size of the clearing you draw them into, and if you want to get more than one of them when they appear....and the that damned irritating thing called the law....

I think Ive said my peace...

Edited by Bvamp