17HMR Splitting nearly every case.

I picked up a Savage Model 93. Blued, heavy barrel, wooden stock. It had the bolt rusted closed as it was in a basement and not quite properly stored. I got that apart, and took the bolt out. Cleaned it all up as best i could... The barrel was bad but not destroyed. The bolt cleaned up pretty well... Other than internally... Took a few shots to get it sighted in with a new optic and noticed that almost EVERY case that ejected was splitting. Typically this is from carbon ring build up in the chamber, but... Is possible it's a headspace issue. Considering its 17HMR I was doubtful the headspace was fucked up. So i chucked up an oversized bronze brush in a cordless drill, dipped it in carbon fouling remover and went to town on the chamber. 

You want to talk about a patch coming out BLACK...  Holy shit! 

I Also decided to disassemble the bolt. Like completely... Two halves, a dozen or so small parts. Cleaned them all up and polished a little, here and there..  Got it all back together... Functioned properly... Lol

Took a few shots... ZERO CASE SPLITS.  So I'm hoping the chamber being overly dirty was the cause... Now to just get it to the bench to truly zero and it will be all set!!😊😃😊

The "idiot" was my dad!😅😂😅 lol 

He had a pipe burst in his basement. Not from cold, just metal fatigue, somehow... But that moisture screwed up a bunch of guns... I will get to them eventually. He's too old to really do it right, any more. Sadly... 😥

• Sad 1

Sorry to hear. A burst pipe is never fun.

Get yourself some Evapo Rust. That stuff is magic at stripping rust, bluing without touching the metal. I've even derusted coil springs with it.

After stripping, derusting, get some Oxpho Blue from Brownell's and some fine plastic abrasive pads.

Degrease with alcohol and rub the blue in.

Looks like factory blue when done.