I'm having trouble installing the bolt.....

when you drop the bolt head(s) back into the bolt carrier, you rotate them both all the way forward in that odd shaped channed in the bolt carrier, and you will see the underside of the bolt carrier and the bolt head(s) will ahve two grooves that line up. that is the proper alignment to drop it back into the reciever. it drops right in basically, so you shouldnt have to force it.

when you drop the bolt head(s) back into the bolt carrier, you rotate them both all the way forward in that odd shaped channed in the bolt carrier, and you will see the underside of the bolt carrier and the bolt head(s) will ahve two grooves that line up. that is the proper alignment to drop it back into the reciever. it drops right in basically, so you shouldnt have to force it.

I'm confused. I've got the bolt sitting in the grooves. But now when I pull the action back, the front of the bolt sticks to the chamber and comes out of the carrier.....

I'm confused. I've got the bolt sitting in the grooves. But now when I pull the action back, the front of the bolt sticks to the chamber and comes out of the carrier.....

You probably already know this, but I got stuck for a while trying to figure it out...you have to push the bolt carrier DOWN into the rear of the receiver for the bolt carrier to hop on its rails correctly.

the two part bolt head is inserted all the way into the bolt carrier, and then rotated so that the lug rides into the notch in the bolt carrier, and rotates all the way forward. the two parts of the bolt head will line up with the bottom of the bolt carrier, and THEN you drop THAT into the reciever, THEN let it forward into the chamber.

Im thinking you just said that you put the bolt in, then the bolt head? Im confused where you are stuck.

the two part bolt head is inserted all the way into the bolt carrier, and then rotated so that the lug rides into the notch in the bolt carrier, and rotates all the way forward. the two parts of the bolt head will line up with the bottom of the bolt carrier, and THEN you drop THAT into the reciever, THEN let it forward into the chamber.

Im thinking you just said that you put the bolt in, then the bolt head? Im confused where you are stuck.

And don't feel bad...

While the AK may be designed for a 13yr old peon to work on with simple farm tools, it's still taken me for a loop a few times. While it is ingeniously simple and thus reliable, it can still cause a headache or two. When you get frustrated, set it down for 30 minutes and then come back and you'll find the solution if you're fresh.

Edited by AegisDei

This may cause futher confusion or be redundant, but place the bolt in the carrier and rotate the bolt in the carrier so it finds its full foreward position (this should put the 2 bolt lugs at the 3 and 9 o'clock position).

now place the assembled bolt and carrier in the receiver, if you look at the back of the carrier there are 2 small slots that will index with the rails on the inside of the receiver when the assembly is pushed down into the receiver and moved foreward. There is also a small slot in the bottom of the front trunion that will index to the bottom of the bolt. I've also found that it helps on the converted models if you push down on the cocked hammer slightly with your finger or something small as you install the bolt/carrier into the receiver so your not fighting tension from the hammer spring. Once you do it a time or two it will all be clear, take a few minutes to cycle it and watch how the action works when it's done