Looking to convert a S-12

Hello, guys. Stupid newbie here. If my handle didn't already give it away, I'm more of a WWII-rifle kinda guy, so these modern shotguns are a bit new to me. I recently trade-acquired a Saiga-12 in the sporter configuration. I'd like to have a pistol grip, muzzle brake, and fixed, solid stock installed. I've read the FAQ's here and Cobra's guide to converting, and it seems like more work than I'm set up to do. (I live in an apartment, so I don't have much in the way of a "workshop")

I was wondering if there is anyone out there that I can just send the gun to, and receive it back with the parts I want installed (for proper compensation, of course!) Tromix's guns look great, but I'm not really looking for an SBS (illegal in MI anyway), and a folding/hollow stock really doesn't do it for me either.

This gun will be used at the range for fun and for home defense if the situation should ever arise.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Gewehr 43
I was wondering if there is anyone out there that I can just send the gun to, and receive it back with the parts I want installed (for proper compensation, of course!) Tromix's guns look great, but I'm not really looking for an SBS (illegal in MI anyway), and a folding/hollow stock really doesn't do it for me either.

Tromix. He doesn't JUST do SBS's, but they seem to be popular.

He's more of a custom builder and will put on what you want.

Tromix. He doesn't JUST do SBS's, but they seem to be popular.

He's more of a custom builder and will put on what you want.

Sorry whats SBS?wondering???

Hello, guys. Stupid newbie here. If my handle didn't already give it away, I'm more of a WWII-rifle kinda guy, so these modern shotguns are a bit new to me. I recently trade-acquired a Saiga-12 in the sporter configuration. I'd like to have a pistol grip, muzzle brake, and fixed, solid stock installed. I've read the FAQ's here and Cobra's guide to converting, and it seems like more work than I'm set up to do. (I live in an apartment, so I don't have much in the way of a "workshop")

This gun will be used at the range for fun and for home defense if the situation should ever arise.

Thanks in advance!

Whats SBS mean ??

Short barrel shotgun?? Wondering Is that folder legal in MI

Thanks in advance!

Email Tony at Tromix. Tell him what you want, if he does'nt want to do it, he will point you to someone that may be interested.

Tony does have the conversions down pat, and the price is right.

PS, they come out looking good too.

Edited by 300RUM
Email Tony at Tromix. Tell him what you want, if he does'nt want to do it, he will point you to someone that may be interested.

Tony does have the conversions down pat, and the price is right.

PS, they come out looking good too.

Thanks, guys! Yes, SBS is short-barreled shotgun. Those and short barreled rifles are both illegal in MI unless they're pre-'86 NFA items. Stupid, but no one ever said laws had to make sense. I'm not sure if a folding stock would be legal in MI either. I'm thinking with the current barrel length, that it would be. However, folding stocks never really do much for me and I'm really dead-set on a fixed, solid stock.

After I posted this thread last night, I sent an email to Tony to see if he'd be willing to do the conversion and what the price would be. I guess when I looked thru past threads here and at his website, I thought he only did one kind of conversion. I'm sure I'll be hearing from him soon.

Thanks for all the info, Gents. I'll keep you updated on the progress! :)

I sent you an e-mail.

About the only popular conversion option that I currently do not do, is to install the 12C or triangular metal side folding stocks. Other then that, I can handle most all other requests. I can install standard AK style handguards, but that is very time consuming, hence quite expensive.

The standard Tromix conversions were designed in such a way to be done very quickly but still look very nice, in order to keep the cost reasonable to the customer.

Tony Rumore

Tromix Corp

Edited by TonyRumore

I read through the Michigan State Laws and Published Ordinances and there is no mention of a folding stock prohibition and the definition of a Shotgun only states a required barrel length of 18" and 26" overall. There is no section that covers "assault" weapons or any other bullshit like that.

Of interesting note, it is illegal in MI to remove the manufacturer's name and model from the gun, whereas there is no Federal law prohibiting this.

I read through the Michigan State Laws and Published Ordinances and there is no mention of a folding stock prohibition and the definition of a Shotgun only states a required barrel length of 18" and 26" overall. There is no section that covers "assault" weapons or any other bullshit like that.

Of interesting note, it is illegal in MI to remove the manufacturer's name and model from the gun, whereas there is no Federal law prohibiting this.

Thanks for the heads up I couldnt find jack on the MI laws ...

I wonder also if the name can be covered i suspect not.

Ill get to you asap I have a few ideas..for the 20 .

A fellow Michiganderer here...

The way it was explained to me by a local state trooper is this:

Folders are fine as long as...

Shotguns - 18" barrel and 30" min OAL length

Rifles - 16" barrel and 26" min OAL length (the paragragh you quoted says 30")

SBS = no-no (shotgun <30"; rifle <26")

Now, all that said, he's not an ATF agent...

:up:

• 1 month later...
Sup gün? Is that the M249 grip? I keep seeing those everywhere and I'd like to know if they're as comfortable as they're reported to be. Do they look good? Looks good in the picture.

I have one on mine and I like it a lot.

Gewehr 43, now go get on the list for some 10 round mags ;)

Edited by epsylum